1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EU teachers in the UK

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by RitaJulia, May 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RitaJulia

RitaJulia New commenter

Dear Community,
    I would like to hear about your experience as EU teachers, also would like to hear the UK teachers' experience with us, EU teachers. Thank you.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Robak1991

Robak1991 New commenter

I had a lot of bad experiences. There are plenty of misconceptions about EU teachers. For example that most OTT from the EU(there is even a nice article ripping to bits the EU OTTs) of are too stupid to be able to cope with teaching in the UK. A lot of people are shocked that our qualifications are recognised. I actually experienced a lot of rejection when I looked to VOLUNTEER. I am not saying this was due to being the OTT I think this was actually not connected. It was tough and rough. Now I am going to start a post as an NQT (I am not one, but the school does not realise I am exempt from the induction), but I see it as an advantage, because of the amount of support I will receive and not having to pass anything. The only thing is should I make the school aware I am not an NQT well I don't know actually.

RitaJulia likes this.
  3. RitaJulia

RitaJulia New commenter

Dear Robak1991: thank you for your reply. I have very similar experiences. With a PhD, I was a TA in a primary for 3 weeks, so I guess I am humble enough. Altogether, I was in 11 schools throughout 8 months, as a supply, teaching everything from primary to college. About racist attacks: I turned to my union about it, several times, and after a while they started answering, and try to take measures, as there were many complaints: e.g. train mental health practitioners to educate school staff and students. It is very important to talk about this: do not get discouraged, just keep talking, nicely and firmly, so that they understand.

dzil likes this.
  4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I've worked with at least ten EU teachers over the last decade. Predominantly Irish (teaching Geography or History) or French or Spanish (teaching modern languages).

Every single one has been an utter joy to work with, and I loved working with them. I'm sorry posters on here have had negative experiences of working in UK schools. There are a fair few ignorant idiots both in students and staff, and its not acceptable.

5. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

I think the main issue facing EU teachers is not that we are foreign. I think the main issue why many schools might be reluctant to take on OTT is because the school system in the UK is a law to its own, it is very different from even other countries linked culturally like the USA or Australia. The behaviour expectations, the types of rules, etc are very different from most other countries. Even you can see it in the language used: things are not difficult but challenging, you don't ask students to "study", but to "work" or "do learning", the general attitude of students "learning is done at school not at home", as well as the attitude to homework, in secondary for instance, homework is given because it is on the homework timetable, while in other countries you give homework when it is necessary to revise a topic, so may give homework twice in a row, and then you may not give homework... I think there are quite a lot of differences that an OTT teacher needs to get used to and learn. Those EU teachers who do the PGCE get the shock then, but those who don't have to learn on the job, so many schools may not want to risk lots of issues by hiring somebody who is not trained in the UK.

The people who I know who got a job and stayed in it successfully without UK training were either outstanding teachers-communicators, or in the case of one girl she had a Masters and a Phd and ended up working for a private school.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  6. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

You should tell your school you are not an NQT. It is not just about getting more support. An NQT year is part of the training and as such you can fail it. If a prospective teacher fails his/her NQT year s/he won't be allowed to teach in the UK, he won't be fully qualified.

Also, to do the NQT year you need to be registered with the appropriate body, generally, the local authority has an NQT officer or similar, and if the person passes the NQT assessment they are informed of this and signed up with the National College for Teaching and Leadership. So, when they try to sign up, they will be told you are already a fully qualified teacher with full rights to teach in England and Wales, and they will realised you lied about your qualifications, which in itself is cause for dismissal, but as a teacher, they couldn't give you even a character reference, because they would have to say that you lied... what else cold you lie about?

It will also look like you lied about being an NQT to get the 10 % reduction on timetable... I think you will have a very annoyed team around you, especially if they have to pick up those lessons you can't teach because you are an 'NQT'.