1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EU settled status: it was meant to be as easy as shopping online!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Jul 13, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I communicated with Frank but he can't really offers help as such. I understand the process but it's pot luck if whatever device you are using does what the process requires you to do. That is where I'm currently stuck.

FrankWolley and sodalime like this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Are you certain you have a biometric passport? The chip is usually either visible just inside the cover or you can feel/see a lump where it is. Some passports (UK for example) have an icon on the front to show it has a chip in it (rectangle with a circle in the middle and line through it).
    [​IMG]

To read it using a phone you just need to place your phone on top of the passport. Don't move it around. It works just like chip and pin or an oyster card. You can always check you can read it by downloading an NFC reader app from the android store and using that. It won't decode the information but it will pick something up so you know it is all working.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes and,yes,we did that.

EU citizens forums on Facebook are full of similar stories.

5. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

My passport chip has been unreadable since I got it. Apparently if you keep it in a pocket rather than cherishing it in special hard case they are liable to get bent a little and they won't work.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

First I've heard of that, but definitely a possibility.

When you go through the automatic gates at an airport, a significant number of people get redirected to a human because it doesn't work.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry - I had a night off from the internet last night.
    I'm afraid that I can offer no practical support, but I do feel for you.
    This is not the way I want my country to work. This is a disgraceful way to treat someone who has contributed to our society.

Sar_H and A_Million_Posts like this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You can always apply by post if you don't have access to a device that works.

9. florian gassmann

One further thought: I asked our next-door neighbour, who is Catalan (he'd kill me if I said 'Spanish') if he had any difficulty applying for settled status, because I know that like me he uses an iPhone. He said he got the local registry office to scan and check his documents. They do charge a small fee (£14) for this, though.

Anyway, good luck with finding a solution. At least you have plenty of time!

catmother likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'd like to avoid sending my passport to HO by post.

FrankWolley likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Update!

My friend came round and used his Nexus tablet instead of his more advanced phone. It worked!

I have now completed the application and it's just a matter of waiting for decision. I got email saying that my application is "valid".

12. florian gassmann

Well done! There's much to be said for not being up-to-date. :)

sodalime, border_walker and catmother like this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good news. Fingers crossed.

sodalime, mathsmutt and catmother like this.
  14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I can't see any reason why you will not be granted settled status - though I fully understand how the waiting (for a decision) can be horrible.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I know that, and you know that, and so do many many other people. Unfortunately, the die-hard Brexiters don't give a monkey's just so long as they can have their fantasy land.

You have my complete sympathy, but I don't have anything useful to offer to resolve the problem.

catmother likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

Catmother resolved the problem on Sunday. She is now just waiting for a decision, which is likely to be positive (there was not one single outright refusal among the 200,000 applicants in the trial period).

catmother and sodalime like this.
  17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed.
    I'm just waiting now but it's only really been less than 2 working days,so no panic. At least,I have got the email saying that my application is "valid" and I have a reference number and phone number to contact if I had heard nothing in a week or so. The worse thing on Friday was that the application had been started but has come to a stop as we could not complete stage 1 and therefore,I was in limbo. It was lucky that my friend had a second device and because he is your typical IT guy,he was not going to be defeated by technology and he came back on the Sunday to try again.

florian gassmann likes this.