1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EU settled status: it was meant to be as easy as shopping online!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Jul 13, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Having now retired,I decided to do the settled status before my NI records showed me as still employed.

First,hurdle was that my phone is from the ark,so no use. My husband has an android phone but no NFC. My friend thought his phone had it and I managed to pin him (he's a busy man!) down to arrange to do the settle status but it turned out his phone did not have NFC. Another friend offered to help and he came round last night. Things were going well until it came to look for the chip in my passport. 20 go and the phone claim to not find the chip. We are now locked out for 24 hours and that means having to try again. My friend has got a tablet with NFC,so we're going to try on that. If that does not work,I'm stuck!

So easy and no stress involved at all!

mathsmutt and sodalime like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Message sent in conversation,@FrankWolley .

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I will suggest this when we try again.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

150 views and so few posters caring to comment!
    No sympathy for someone who has lived here for over 35 years and is currently left to live in a stressful limbo.

I really should post about some obviously made-up dilemma,that would get more sympathetic comments.

As for posters who are fed up with Brexit,this is how Brexit affects real people.

sabrinakat, coffeekid and sodalime like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've been watching Buck Dharma so I've only just read the thread posts. I sympathise but I know nothing about mobile phones.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Can you not do it on a computer or laptop??

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I never do anything important on my 'phone.

RepelloInimicum and blazer like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I have a lot of sympathy - but have only just stumbled across your thread just now. The tech issues (stumbling blocks) sound similar to those faced by people attempting to create a Universal Credit Account. A nightmare.
    Btw, my mum wants to come back to live in Scotland and has no idea whether that will be possible. Another kind of limbo though less stressful than your situation.

mathsmutt, catmother and coffeekid like this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Same.

mathsmutt, catmother and sodalime like this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It is a Saturday! I'm afraid I have no idea what this NFC thing is, but I was going to add that forum View counts don't mean only views by real human beings who are TES members. Most of them will probably be from robots and web crawlers. Or from the mysterious 'guests' who make up three quarters of the viewers on here at any one time according to the 'Members Online Now' box top right.

I hope you find a solution.

catmother, sodalime and coffeekid like this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You have to use a device with NFC and download the App for the first stage which is verifying your identity with your passport. Therefore,you have to currently use an Android phone or a tablet. My friend had both with him last evening but only thought of using the tablet instead of the phone,once we had used up all 20 tries and were locked in. I'm now dependent on him finding the time to try again once the 24 hours are up. You can't do any more of the application if stage one is not completed.

mathsmutt, coffeekid and sodalime like this.
  14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

*i have removed my idiot comment*
    ETA: just googled: Near Field Communication, apparently

15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sounds incredibly frustrating.

catmother likes this.
  16. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Near field communication - it’s like bluetooth but not.

The swear filter won’t let me express my feeling on this, Catmother. I hope you get it sorted soon.

catmother and sodalime like this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Defo sounds like the nightmare of applying for Universal Credit.
    I'm guessing that Frank is going to be able to help you, having already helped someone else through the process?
    Fingers crossed that when you can make further attempts to progress the application, things go smoothly.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It is a nightmare because it makes me dependent on other people. Funny enough as I started writing this,my friend phoned and he coming back tomorrow afternoon to try again with his tablet first. He's a highly qualified IT expert,so he's now taking this as a challenge!

mathsmutt, primarycat and sodalime like this.
  19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thanks to all who have posted. I was just a bit fed up that some made up rubbish posted by a troll get more answers.

20. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Great :)