1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EU ruling for October 2011

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Pennyforyourthoughts, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

What is your agency suggesting for this new ruling coming into force in October 2011?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Er . . ., what does the ruling say? Not heard of it yet!

3. Me neither....[​IMG]

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Add me to the ranks of the clueless.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

and me!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ruling.... you have to give a few more clues.

7. This is the Agency Worker Regulations that are being bought in to give agency workers equal rights to permenant staff. When the regulations are introduced in October you will have access to the same amenities in schools that perm teachers can such as access to the staffroom, tea, coffee etc, if teachers have access to the school gym after school then you have access too. You should be told where the jobs board is and should be made aware of jobs up to 6 months after you worked there (I think that is the time scale but don't quote me on that one). There is a 12 week qualifying period that you have to work before you qualify for other equal treatment like....equal pay!
    This is a very very very simplified version of the legislation covering points that are of most interest. As like all legislation there is lots of small print to do with the qualifying period and how you work out equal pay (comparatives are involved). Schools probably know as little as you do as councils haven't been very forthcoming with the information, I suggest you speak to your Supply Agency to clarify the finer points and see how they are going to support you.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well that's jolly useful on day-to-day supply!
    As the longest term is usually no more than 7 weeks, and unpaid holidays don't count, that's useful for long term supply too.
    All about as much good as a chocolate teapot or tits on a goose as they say!

9. No help for supply teachers what so ever.

10. ''When the regulations are introduced in October you will have access to the same amenities in schools that perm teachers can such as access to the staffroom, tea, coffee etc''
    I've been working as a supply teacher for several years now (over the course of my career) and have never once been denied access to a staffroom, or to tea/coffee (though I expect to pay for these).
    Surely no teacher is denied this - isn't there some ruling somewhere or other that requires an employer employing above three or four people - to provide adequate facilities for staff members (whether temp/agency or otherwise) to take their lunch?
    Kal

11. Cropped up in a conversation the other day about a possible long-term cover... basically I'm put forward for this, but with these changes I'm going to be more expensive than an NQT because I'll have to be paid more... so no chance of getting the cover stint basically.
    Woo hoo.

12. Thats what my agency has just quoted to me for the reason it has cut my pay by £13 per day! Even though its not in effect until October [​IMG]

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The ruling is for all agency workers , not just supply teachers.
    Actually, as another poster has said, agency teachers are on a daily supply rate and never get to work at any one place for 12 weeks in a row, so will never qualify for the proper teachers' pay rate. If it's decided that the half-term breaks and between term breaks can be ignored, it will be in the interests of agencies and schools to have a different supply teacher before 12 weeks have elapsed.
    The Unions should be fighting for all supply to be LA paid, as it used to be.
    The legislation will apply more to factory workers etc. I recall a few years ago listening to a 16 year old pupil having a rant about Polish workers in the UK and then telling everyone that where she worked part-time (after school and at weekends) she earned double, paid direct by the factory, than the Polish agency workers. The agency workers notionally earned minimum wage but then had a percentage deducted for the agency cut.
    I suspect that factory owners will need to decide in future whether they are prepared to lose hard-working Polich staff rather than pay then the full rate.
    I'd like clarification on this legislation though. Is it the agency that has to cough up the equal pay rate after 12 weeks or does the agency worker become a casual member of staff at the place of work, edging the agency out completely?

14. Firstly, It will never go back to all supply teachers being LA paid. La's are having budgets cut right left and centre so many would not be able to cover the extra cost and admin. Also it was schools that wanted to move away from from LA Supply as it resticted them to certain teachers.

Also with regards to the AWR the finer details are still being worked out to how it fits in with education. Their are 3/4 grey areas that need to be sorted out before any agency can put things into place. We expect things to become clearer in August.
    Once the 12 weeks come into play it will be January before any changes needed to be made.