1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eton College: urgently needs "special measures" !

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I'm sure we've all "got" it. I'm sure we all think it's dreadfully funny or clever or insightful or maybe even all three.

And I'm sure that by now we can all both assess the quality and discern the motivations of most of your posts, "Big" Frank.

<Yawn>

2. R13

R13 New commenter

Eton is very successful in producing people who will help to ensure that the sort of people who go to Eton continue to do extremely well for themselves.
    It doesn't need an Inspection . . . . it needs closing

Piscean1 likes this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I do not remember the 2017 Manifesto mentioning the use of a magic money tree.

After the campaign I was under the impression that magic money trees were the objects of derision yet here we are in 2019 with Johnson promising to spaff money all over the place, as long as he can get into No 10.

It reads more like the Labour manifesto of a couple of years ago than the Tories one.

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

A: In the past I might well have agreed with you on this; "technically" rather than "morally" so to speak.

But after today's fiasco: HMQ humiliated by being obliged by the members of the C&U Party to let that lout kiss her hand and as a consequence she inflicts on us B-t-C as PM

"I ask you......."

B:But under European Human Rights legislation (and that is a Council of Europe concept, not an EU one) we cannot just close down a whole school because we don't like the PM it foists on us. You require a plausible excuse.

Hence my OP and my earnest request that they send in OFSTED pdq and so furnish us with a watertight legal case to take to Strasbourg when the great and the good try to spike the government's subsequent closure decision.

My estimate is that once people see what an unmitigated oaf B-t-C really is, PM Corbyn could have those playing fields converted to socially useful allotments well before 2020 is out.

5. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

In Jan.2015 there were reports that Eton would fall down the performance tables if included. Something to do with igcses / vocational qualifications perhaps.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. R13

R13 New commenter

How about taking away it's tax free status and stop treating something that is so clearly dedicated to supporting the rich as if it is a charity

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

You mean "its", not it's". The former is the possessive, the latter a contraction of "it is".

I wonder what you are doing posting here? Surely you were not a teacher? :eek:

8. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

In terms of producing credible PMs, which as I have already commented is their sacred compact with the British nation, and based on recent news, I for one wouldn't even let them into the 3rd division (south)

Easyasabc likes this.
  9. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

Should we let Harrow continue? Winchester?