1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eton College: urgently needs "special measures" !

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Jul 23, 2019.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

What other rational conclusion can be reached following its failure to provide us with the national leadership we require/ deserve/ crave (and for which we pay handsomely through subsidies) but rather foisting Boris-the clown; you know-the one with the pockets stuffed with hedge fund dosh, upon us?

katykook, lottee1000 and Sally006 like this.
  2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Occasional commenter

Boris is head of the party that has the most representatives that we elected. You might not like it, but there it is.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When that party was elected he wasn't leader.

Democracy, if it means anything, demands a General Election ASAP.

Lidnod, lottee1000 and Sally006 like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And the party was elected on a Manifesto that Johnson is no longer going to implement (the non-Brexit stuff). None of the things he was promising during the leadership contest are in the 2017 GE Manifesto (taking a bit of a flyer there as I can't be bothered to read it all again to check but I'm pretty sure they weren't ;))

Lidnod likes this.
  5. alex_teccy

What was in the GE manifesto was the promise for a meaningful BREXIT, which is what he seems determined to deliver.

6. alex_teccy

I don't think the public want yet another GE so soon. In the Westminster system, we know that leaders can change mid parliament, it's happened several times in recent history, Jim Callaghan, John Major, Gordon Brown, Theresa May, so I don't know why you or the OP are acting so shocked. We vote for a program, not an individual. It's a safeguard against demagoguery, for one thing.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Thank you so much for speaking for the 40+ million voters in the country... Not!

Yes, we all know it has happened. Doesn't make it right though... Until Johnson has won an election, he has no right to be PM and will be treated that way.

8. Rott Weiler

Didn't you notice I specifically said he wasn't going to implement the rest of the Manifesto "...the non-Brexit stuff..." ? Johnson has no democratic mandate to rewrite the rest of the Manifesto.

As someone has just so wisely posted...

Lidnod likes this.
  9. BigFrankEM

But my post says nothing about the constitution.

It is about the abject failure of Eton College to fulfill its sacred role in society; as evidenced by its cynical foisting of B-t-C on us.

10. alex_teccy

Yes, that's why I said "I don't think" - because it's my opinion. Am I wrong?
    Well yes, if politicians did what was "right" for example Theresa May and remainer parliament honouring the result of the referendum, and the GE 2017 manifesto to leave, the result of whuch which we were told would be respected, we wouldn't need to change PM.

11. alex_teccy

Not foisted, elected as part of a system that parliament agrees upon.

12. alex_teccy

Which parts is he planning on re-writing?

13. Rott Weiler

How many of his leadership competition promises are in the Manifesto? How much of the Manifesto has said he will honour? AFAIK he has given no commitments to implement the 2017 Manifesto.

Parliament does not agree to the system that elected Johnson (nor, for that matter the system that elect any other party's leader). It's nothing to do with parliament.

14. BigFrankEM

No, no, no !

I do know my British Constitution; all 6 words of it.

(Plus how many of them don't count. And which ones they are. Even if B-t-C is too obtuse or too overweeningly presumptuous to assert that he will at all costs respect those which do. )

No, as I have tried to explain in words of 1 syllable, or less, my comment and the whole post is based on the premise that Eton College is failing.

Why?

Because EC foisted B-t-C on us !

Got it ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  15. alex_teccy

I know he's promised tax cuts and isn't commiting to an immigration number https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9513616/boris-johnson-refuses-cut-immigration-jeremy-hunt/
    I wonder how often governments of all stripes change their manifesto pledges going forward.
    I think you mean that leaders are determined by the party system, which is true. But parliament could legislate that an election is held, everytime a new leader is required, if the electorate felt strongly enough about it.
    What is the point here, that we should in fact change the system?

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You actually believe that it is the role of Eton to provide us with Prime Ministers? :eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps Eton, at the time Boris Johnson was a pupil, believe the country was moving towards a more egalitarian approach and that we'd no longer look to Eton to provide us with leaders?
    Perhaps they believed that a 'Bog standard comprehensive' would be the place we'd look for leaders?
    Perhaps they left Boris to bumble along as he would, because he was clever enough to achieve exam results and get into Oxford, and, as we all know, exam results are all that matters in secondary schools?

alex_teccy likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

You don't like Boris, I get it, but what's it got to do with Eton exactly? He's won two elections as London mayor, in Labours heartland so he's far from unsuccessful and we can't judge him as PM as he has not performed yet.
    And as I have already pointed out 4 (2 labour, 2 tory) PMs in the last 35 years have been selected in this manner. If you don't like the system fine, what would you suggest as an alternative?

18. BigFrankEM

0: Yes. What other purpose could it possibly have? Why spend all that money on subsidies if we don't actually get some positive results for our expenditure?
    A: Perhaps pigs might fly ?
    B: See answer A.
    C: Ofsted controlled state secondary schools in England perhaps.

But real secondary schools like, well like EC to name but one, hardly !

19. BigFrankEM

i) But I do like B-t-C. Greatly. As buffoon.

It's just that as PM, I don't rate him. At all, at all

ii) Well if bog standard comps are held liable for their sychopath pupils, or even for those who smoke at the gates, .....

iii) But, as I have now said 3 times.....

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

London isn't Labour's heartland. Quite a few marginals as well as very safe Tory seats / councils.

alex_teccy likes this.