1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Etiquette when enquiring over salary and relocation package

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lottiemay0411, Jan 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. lottiemay0411

lottiemay0411 New commenter

I am considering making an application for an SLT position in UAE. The salary says undisclosed. I am currently based in the UK and realise the chance of success might be low but before I put any real time investment into the application I need to know that it is worth is financially.

I have a wife, who is a L2 TA, and 3 children, 8-3. Is it normal to ask about subsidised fees etc? At what point salary normally be discussed.

Apologies if this has been asked before I have searched and trawled and not really come across an answer.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

teachtronic likes this.
  2. peakdj

peakdj New commenter

Errmmm...ask when you want to know...? Surely they want people for SLT who have the confidence to be themselves and not tread on eggshells too much. I’ve always struggled with this “when is the right time to ask...” question, especially for jobs in the gulf. Money is often a motivating factor and can be one of the top considerations for some so why would anyone be keen to pretend it isn’t? Just ask...if it doesn’t follow their etiquette then perhaps it ain’t the right place to work or the right people to work with/for.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

This is always “irritating” as you spend hours completing an application, 2 Skype interviews just to be told the package is ****.

teachtronic likes this.
  4. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

totally agree with these comments, i do find it irritating how many don't disclose their package until after the interview stage, but i also understand why they don't so as not to put people off from applying. catch 22. An expected salary ballpark should be the norm

5. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

It's true - it is such a pain.
    It depends what kind of SLT position it is and what kind of school.
    If it's a "for profit" school (most of them) and it's assistant head level lit's likely to be 17-21k per month depending on your teaching experience.
    If it's a deputy head position it's likely to be 22-25k per month.

If it's a not for profit school it could go up to 28k for a deputy position.

But it could be a school that pays less or it could be a generous one! Usually, you don't find out until after you have an interview at least...

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

As for etiquette, speaking as someone who has both applied for and hired for SLT positions, I respectfully disagree with previous posters. The expected thing is to discuss package after interview, at the time an offer is made.
    Use your contacts and various forums to better understand what sort of school it is, and you’ll be able to guess whether the package is worth your time.
    You asked about etiquette, and that’s the etiquette.

7. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

3 kids = drain + bigger housing needed.

Simple economics.

You may, however teach an indemand subject and be a wizard........

Try. X

8. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

I have just been offered a position and they won’t even discuss packages until after they’ve received all my documents...!

That’s not SLT though.

9. gulfgolf

That's odd, in my experience. I stand by the general rule that we shouldn't be making offers until we have all the info we need re experience, references, qualifications.... With that in hand, we can be quite specific about package.
    Which documents are they requesting? If it's the ones needed for a visa, in my mind that's quite different, and should be handled AFTER a contract is signed. Not before an offer is fully explained.
    Be careful you're not dealing with some scammer after your identity.

576 likes this.
  10. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

They want to see teacher certificate, passport, references and qualification proof.

They are legit I’ve checked the email addresses, I’m pretty IT literate :)

11. 576

576 Established commenter

The school should have a standard package and a clear payscale.
    I would be very wary of any school who wouldn't reveal this at interview.
    What are they hiding ?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  12. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Agree that many/most schools view talking money when an offer is being made (or at least being seriously considered) as the done thing. Whether or not they should is another story.

I would also be wary of a school that is supposedly making you an offer without giving you the package details. They could at least give the details and throw in a clause about pending verification of teaching qualifications, years of creditable teaching experience, ability to obtain a visa, etc.

13. gulfgolf

I’m guessing this isn’t through a big agency. If it is, it’s a conflict of the rules.