1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Etiquette re ending contract?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by artemis81, Mar 27, 2019.

1. artemis81

artemis81 New commenter

Good Evening
    I wondered if anyone could give any insight as to my dilemma?
    I am currently covering Maternity leave of 3 months in a school where there is there is definitely no opportunity of extension.
    I have been approached by a Supply agency regarding covering for the 'last month' in a school i very much wish to work in.
    daily rate the same roughly, but not TP or other benefits. MC school not paying to scale.

The Supply school also has some jobs advertised , which i wish to apply for.

Is it unprofessional to request an early end to the maternity post?
    I have only been teaching a few years and am very much wishing to secure a permanent post.
    Thanks for any advice.

Curae likes this.
  2. artemis81

artemis81 New commenter

Thanks in advance

Curae likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Check your notice period - it's often quite short for maternity covers, as the postholder can decide to come back at short notice. If you give the requisite notice, no problem.
    I'm sure it's rather annoying for a school when the maternity cover doesn't stay for the full time, but they have to realise that if they're only employing you until partway through next term, then you need to be looking for employment beyond that, and that you'd be foolish to turn down a permanent post out of a sense of duty to their three month contract, particularly if it's low-paid.

You might want to weigh up likelihood of work in the future, though. If the supply school's jobs come good for you, all is well, but if they don't, and maternity cover school then has a job, they may be less positive about you as a candidate if you don't complete the maternity cover. So whilst it would be eminent sense to leave if you secure a permanent or longer-term post at the supply school, it might be less advisable to leave just for supply.
    (If applying for the posts at the supply school, if they're September starts, it might be worth mentioning in your application that you might be available for an earlier start.)

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

5. artemis81

artemis81 New commenter

yes, i couldn't see the original and my husband posted, please delete this duplicate
    thanks

6. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I agree that you should not finish the maternity cover for supply in another school. If the second school is advertising jobs, apply for them as you normally would. I’d feedback to the agency offering the new supply that as much as you’d like to take the offer, you wish to honour your commitment to your current school. With a bit of luck that might get back to the second school and they will be impressed by your professionalism.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@frustum and @7eleven have pretty much covered it.

If you'd been accepted for a permanent post? It'd be worth working your notice on the maternity cover contract and leaving with profuse apologies. Otherwise though? Let this school know you're a very motivated candidate and will be available soon.

agathamorse likes this.