1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ethical Dilemma

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MrsGren, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I've been teaching abroad for a few years now, and accepted a new job, abroad, just over a month ago. They said I'd get the contract 2 weeks ago and I've still not seen it.
    Having done some sums, on the projected salary, and looking at my outgoings back home, and also looking at the cost of flights home (3 connections!) I no longer want the job. I don't want to go to a place knowing I'll struggle financially.

But how do I tell them?

2. I've been teaching abroad for a few years now, and accepted a new job, abroad, just over a month ago. They said I'd get the contract 2 weeks ago and I've still not seen it.
    Having done some sums, on the projected salary, and looking at my outgoings back home, and also looking at the cost of flights home (3 connections!) I no longer want the job. I don't want to go to a place knowing I'll struggle financially.

But how do I tell them?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Well, I suppose you have not signed a contract as yet, although you have verbally accepted it.
    I would get in touch with the school and explain the situation to them. They are probably very unlikely to do be happy about it but rather a staff member not arriving than leaving half way through in the middle of the night.
    One is curious, though, as to why you did not do the sums before accepting the position. Surely you knew what the conditions of employment were at that stage?

4. Yup - ring 'em up and say sorry.
    Finding out information on what things really cost is difficult and my experience is that schools are usually horribly vague on this. Very often you get answers like 'it depends on your lifestyle' which is true, but what you really need to know is the price of a pie and a pint. All the <strike>*** </strike>have to do is nip down the supermarket and show what a shopping bsaket receipt looks like for you to get a rule of thumb figure - which is all you'll need if you're sentient and they can be bothered.