1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Et tu Guardian?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, May 31, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Saw this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/31/parents-call-for-virtual-school-for-scottish-pupils

"Think Tank" generated news.

Here they are~:
    Reform Scotland, established in 2008, is an Edinburgh-based think tank.

Reform Scotland is the successor to right wing think tank Policy Institute (1999–2008).[1] The think tank is led by individuals with links to the conservative party.

Reform Scotland is a company limited by guarantee (No SC336414) and a Scottish charity (No SC039624) funded by individuals, charitable trusts, companies and organisations that share its aims.[citation needed]

Reform Scotland made a submission to the Scotland Bill Committee, based upon their pamphlet advocating Devolution Plus. Devolution Plus is a system whereby the Scottish devolution settlement would be amended to see both the Scottish Parliament and Westminster parliament raising sufficient revenue in taxation to fund their own spending. That submission was the basis of the foundation of the Devo Plus group, to promote the idea during the run up to a referendum on Scottish independence.[citation needed]

In 2012 Reform Scotland won ‘one to watch’ at Prospect magazine’s annual think tank awards in London as well as runner up in the economic and financial category.[2]

Stabbed in the back by our own newspaper.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I read that article yesterday, it basically doesn't say anything! Didn't know about the think tank though.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Glow is c"£p, surprised they are still persevering with it. It was rubbish when it started - in my four years teaching in Scotland I used it maybe twice, and both times had to go round in circles to get my password reset.

I think what they are saying is instead of using all these different types of model, agree on a standard way of providing lessons and apply it across the whole of Scotland - it doesn't talk about one lesson for all Modern Studies students regardless of whether they are in Wick or Dumfries, for example. That makes sense, but what that needs is standardised equipment and that doesn't exist.

It would make sense to have a council-wide strategy though, so all schools in say Fife followed the same processes and used the same platforms. That would make it easier for parents, and would allow greater consistency.

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I've been saying that for nearly 20 years, ad.

As an example, think of all the secondary schools in your council, all "developing" the same prelim for Maths. Multiply that by the number of subjects in each secondary and you have hundreds of prelims being written every single year. Multiply that by the number of people and the man-hours (person-hours?!) involved and you have a considerable sum.

You mention this to anyone in "school management" and you get the same boolshite that it's always been done that way or School X teaches in a different order or "my prelim is better than your prelim" or some other imaginary unsurpassable obstacle that prevents progress.

markbannan, alexmurraybrown and autoq like this.
  5. grayst

grayst New commenter

I'm struggling to understand why being a teacher should make me regard the Grauniad as "my own" newspaper.

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

All newspapers are circling the drain. It's a vicious circle - the Internet and social media takes business away, so there's less money for quality journalism and more of simply publishing press releases, so less people want to buy it and so on. The Herald for instance is now a comic

It's like what's happening on the High Street - there will be room for a few niche titles, but many will go.

7. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

The argument for a national curriculum

In decades to come people will look back on CFE and state with incredulity: "They asked 2,100 primaries and 360 secondaries to all come up with different models of what they teach? What drugs were they on in the early twenty-first century?

8. grayst

grayst New commenter

Back on topic and to reality:

Glow has its, er, issues. Particularly if you're in an authority like Embra which has its own Office365 "tenancy" which means you can't log into that and Glow at the same time from the same browser. (You can from an incognito window, though).

Some authorities are committed to Microsoft and Teams. Others are committed to Google.

Some authorities have bought and issued to kids loads of Chromebooks. Others (including Embra and Glasvegas) have wasted and are wasting millions on iPads.

And then you bring teacher preferences into it. By end June I intend to teach and assess Higher unit 1 part 2 and N5 unit 1 part 1. Except that won't mean much to many others, since when units were "withdrawn" somebody at SQA took the opportunity to re-order the N5 course, so my teaching order is probably now a bit odd.

The "consistency" coach and horses broke through the corral fence a long time ago and it ain't coming back.

alexmurraybrown and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Fife used to have common prelims for English, but that went by the board for some reason. I'm not sure what's happened in recent years.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  10. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I saw a link to some BBC produced video resources for my area the other day. They were poor. The article is trying to stir up discontent and push us towards Pearson perhaps resources, whatever the pressure group has shares in. Did I say pressure group when I meant to say think tank? The Guardian by cliche is the teachers newspaper.
    Formal support in Scottish education does not exist. SQA, Education Scotland, GTSC go to the back of the room and put on your pointy hats.
    For not much money on a Scottish scale our jobs could be so much easier, and our pupils could have a better experience. I still dont know the level of detail I am supposed to teach for N5 or H.

11. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Quite a lot of Modern Studies departments buy in the prelims from one provider - and from what I remember they were actually quite good because he had the time to work on them and make sure that they stood up to scrutiny. And in general, Modies teaches in the order of the paper both at N5 and Higher (again, from recall, but it does make sense.)

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  12. autoq

autoq New commenter

You and me both laddie. ;)

The duplication of effort is nonsensical. Especially for a subject like Maths ( and maybe Sciences ?) where the topics/courses are the same across the country (or could be).

Of course, I take an even bigger picture. I don't even actually understand why education is "devolved" across regions. Again, the duplication of effort PLUS the inherent inconsistencies between regions just makes "Bridging the Gap", or "Closing the Attainment Gap" or whatever it is now, even harder to achieve. :confused:

I suggest the following :-

1 Scottish Authority for National Education (SANE:p) responsible for
    (a) A single robust 21st century National Pupil Information system. Kick Seemis into the long grass. Please.
    (b) Proper teacher skills development (for teachers who want it)
    (c) Every school across the country would be aligned to a school "Attainment" group e.g. "Inner city" , "Suburban" or "Rural" ,etc. Some schools in the inner-city parts of Dundee/Stirling/Inverness/Perth/Edinburgh/Glasgow will have very similar issues. So "manage/fund/support" them together. (PEF money anyone??) Similarly for rural schools in Dumfries/Wick, etc..
    Easily justifiable given
    (a) The amount of money it would save
    and
    (b) Reduction in contradictory efforts between regions (sometimes even WITHIN regions !!)
    and
    (c) Potentially easier information-flow for pupils who move between regions
    (d) Easier for teachers to move around
    ... I could go on......

The useless clowns we have had ruinning (typo intentional) education in this country is a National scandal. Nothing will change either. Too many people with too many pointless little empires telling too many teachers to do too many things, too often , too late with too much condascension and too little clarity. All with too little imagination applied as well as too little logic and (most importantly) too little accountability.

P.S. I will run the Single Authority and guarantee to reduce teacher workload.
    • You will go in to school. Teach. Go home again.
    • I would headhunt "bigjimmy2" to be the enforcer. Any HT BS would be dealt accordingly.
    • Scrap Inspections. You're all professional enough to be trusted. Any slackers would be dealt with as they are now.
    • Parents would be told what is happening. Not the other way around. Ditto pupils. Don't like it. Fine . There's the books. There's the home-school videos. Come back if/when you want.
    • One school motto for all pupils : "DON'T BE A D?CK" o_O
    • 1 days In-Service at start of each term. This is to get your classroom/lessons in order. Any pertinent school information/initiatives to be sent by email . Or video.
    • SMT all have to teach 10 hours per week. If that means 6+ SMT then so be it. Teaching is Number 1 priority.

Another 1/2 hour rant. Where is that allowed for on the Working Time Agreement ??? :rolleyes:

13. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

autoq,

That’s list worth thinking about. I’m not informed enough about education in Scotland to comment on the details, but I have one suggestion: take it further via whichever political party you support. I started a thread nine years ago, https://community.tes.com/threads/don-t-give-up-the-eternal-battle.462500, in which I gave an account of education in my state, Victoria. The basic point was that change comes about when people insist on it. We now have a fantastic minister for education, the longest-serving in the last 40 years, and things have got much better. But they did that because many people put in many hours of work against frustration, setbacks and difficulties. Those people aren’t finished yet either. There are still some issues to be sorted out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Marisha likes this.