1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Estimated grade boundaries for AQA Specimen Papers?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Mar 25, 2016.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Has anyone tried using the AQA Specimen Paper 1 (FOUNDATION;8300/1F; Published June 2015) with their students?
    Did you make an attempt at converting their score into a new (1 to 9) (or even old E to C) grade by creating your own grade boundaries? May I ask what you used?
    My estimates were: 49 marks for a '4'; 62 for a '5', but I'm not sure if they are reasonable.

MMT

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I'm not being rude, MMT, but trying to invent grade boundaries is a fool's errand. The exam boards have said they will not even try, and as both the proportions and thresholds can be altered by Ofqual as late as August 2017, all we have is our experience of how certain sets of students have done in the past.
    The fact my dept is moving from 10% to 30% of our intake doing Foundation is because we can't even be sure what a 5 could even possibly look like.

darhar and googolplex like this.
  3. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Thanks for trying to help Adam. I guess you're saying that the error bounds are so large that you can't make a worthwhile estimate.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Mmm. This is what we keep arguing about.

To track progress you don't need grades. You can simply track raw scores. What students attain from one year to the next will move thus stopping schools loading resources around grade boundaries.
    You have to ask yourself why you need grade boundaries. To predict the 9-5 rate? It should be irrelevant except to a Head freaking about the floor target.
    These things are designed to stop the gaming by schools. The floor rate is still a problem but it is about designing out gaming.