1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Estate agents and literacy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Mar 3, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm back searching sites for accommodation for Miss jubilee who will soon be homeless in London after discovering that her studio flat, in the owner's garden, does not have planning permission for residential use.
    Writing 'complimentary' instead of 'complementary' seems to eb the norm now but I found one flat where the bathroom was described as having a 'pedal stool wash hand basin'!
    Pedestal!

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Goes with the beeday I saw on particulars the other day.

I think I've also seen an intergull garage somewhere as well.

3. (ignores the typo and simply responds - and double checks for own mispers)

We are looking to buy again and there does seem to be a lack of literacy that occasionally makes Climber laugh out loud.
    We could have bought half an acher of land! But just the thought of it was painful!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've seen many estate agents describe bathrooms with 'vanitory' units over the years.

5. *** dont you realize its you're falt. You are pade to do one thing , teech. If you carnt get it write and fale dont go blaming the kids whose learning was not done properley.

(edit) I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the fact that F..F..S. was filtered. Who the ***** is filter monitor this week?

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I saw "refirbishment" today.

7. Were they good?

8. Lots of estate agents don't know what dormer windows are...
    They are often referred to as 'dorma' windows. [​IMG]

9. Comprising of...

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

11. It's The Completely Random Capitalisation Of Every Single Word In The Particulars That Does My Head In.
    And the complete over-the-top attack of exclamation marks, usually only seen at such levels in the writing of year 4 girls. We once had one set of particulars when we were looking a couple of years ago with a paragraph and a half about the amazing fact this house had a Cellar!!! Imagine the possibilities of a Cellar!!! (always with a capital letter)... it went on to detail potential uses for the Cellar!!! at great length.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

This property is enviably situate, and benefits from a lawned fore-garden.
    (From the property page in our free local paper)

13. Is it in a sort-after area?

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

It usually turns out it's not been sorted ...

15. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

making me smile
    [​IMG]