1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Establishing a faculty salary scale 1.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Arepa, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

I have volunteered to help a former student set up a non-profit, IB, boarding school in a developing nation. This is the first of a series of discussion topics which, I hope, will generate useful suggestions and comments from international teachers that will help us set up the school. I do wish to pick the brains of all the talented and experienced teachers out in TESland.

My first issue is with the equality of faculty salaries. My former student is determined that local staff (nationals and locally hired expatriates (permanent residents)) and internationally recruited teachers should be paid the same for the same qualifications and positions. This is certainly fair and would remove the often divisive atmosphere of many international schools. The problem is that at present internationally hired faculty receive nearly double the salary of a local for the same position. Thus, I am a bit worried about the sustainability of the school’s finances. It would also play havoc with the established system of salaries for local teachers (perhaps, not such a bad thing). I have come up with a tentative salary scale that I hope would attract international teachers while still being fairly reasonable in the national economy (the locals would jump at it). For a teacher with 3-6 years of IB experience and a BA, the salary would be USD 27K , for 6-10 years of IB experience it would be USD 30K, and for 15+ years it would be USD 45K. Aside from the usual benefits of healthcare, air transportation, etc., housing would be provided as would 3 meals a day (if desired) for the teacher and their family (tuition would be provided for up to two children). Teachers could expect to save 25% of their salaries without too much effort. The country is a pleasant place to live and most TESers who have worked there, judging from their comments on this site, have liked it. Aside from a rigorous academic program, teachers would be expected to participate in extra-curricular activities and be involved with pastoral care: probably working a total of 45 hour weeks including the occasional nights and weekend (it will be a boarding school). So, I have four specific questions: 1. Is it fair to have equal salaries for locals and expats? 2. Is it really practical? 3. Are the salaries and work expectations realistic? 4. If you think the international salaries are too low, are there any ways of jacking up international salaries without being unfair to the locals?

I am looking forward to your comments and to any advice that will help us move forward.

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

This will not work. Ever.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Why not? Some schools pay everyone the same but give overseas (and sometimes local expat) hires an "overseas allowance" plus the usual healthcare and flights. Some even give the same standard of in-country healthcare to all teachers. In other industries it certainly isn't standard but also isn't unusual for a company to pay a "local" the same as an "expatriate" for doing exactly the same job - why not in teaching? If a not-for-profit (what used to known as "non-profit" ^^) school has a budget that allows for overseas hired staff to receive a housing allowance and flights to home of record, then why should it matter if a position is filled by an expat or a "local". The best candidate, red-tape permitting, will get the job.

In the last 10-20 years we have gone from a bunch of non-profit schools, some of which paid through the roof, to a world of international education where it's all about the bottom line. The established non-profit schools that were considered to be the best have hiked up their packages way ahead of the curve - why can't a new school follow a similar model and not do it on the cheap?

Arepa, just do it! You won't be the first ;)

4. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Offer poor money . . .

5. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

. . . get poor applicants.