1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essential reading before starting teaching in Reception!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mini spazzolino, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,

As I've mentioned before on here I'm starting teaching reception in Sept after having done a 5-11 PGCE. I completed a placement in the same school in reception through QUICK cramming of the EYFS guidance and by remembering basic child development theory from first year of my undergrad degree (7 years ago!). I got books out of uni library to support me on a 'need to know' basis - enough to get me through the placement, but not really enough to feel that I really and truly know what I'm talking about!

My question is whether anyone can help me with a bit of an 'essential' reading list for reception teachers? I don't need a book that states the obvious - eg taking 300 pages, and charging me £15, to tell me that play is important - but something that unites the theory and practice in a way that's going to mean I am up to speed with the latest ideas and best practice, and might take me beyond so I can come to my new school with some new ideas! I can cope with a few books if needed as I've got all summer.

Any ideas appreciated - thanks! xx

2. Hi all,

As I've mentioned before on here I'm starting teaching reception in Sept after having done a 5-11 PGCE. I completed a placement in the same school in reception through QUICK cramming of the EYFS guidance and by remembering basic child development theory from first year of my undergrad degree (7 years ago!). I got books out of uni library to support me on a 'need to know' basis - enough to get me through the placement, but not really enough to feel that I really and truly know what I'm talking about!

My question is whether anyone can help me with a bit of an 'essential' reading list for reception teachers? I don't need a book that states the obvious - eg taking 300 pages, and charging me £15, to tell me that play is important - but something that unites the theory and practice in a way that's going to mean I am up to speed with the latest ideas and best practice, and might take me beyond so I can come to my new school with some new ideas! I can cope with a few books if needed as I've got all summer.

Any ideas appreciated - thanks! xx

3. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

Try "learning, playing and interaction" a document published by the EYFS - really good attempt to redress the excesses and distortions of EY practice of recent years - it was largely ignored by the EYFS fraternity - as it exposed and threatened the many vested interests in the still dominant old guard.
    Good luck - However, if you find yourself writing numerous notes on post its and captions to digi fotos rather than interacting with and even occasionally directly teaching them - run for the hills while you can.
    Tis a verystrange world you enter

4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think these are good.

5. Thank you, I like the look of these! Will investigate further! x

6. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

understanding the revised eyfs by h moylett and n stewart. This is very comprehensive, easy to read and written by people who really understand eyfs. also "practical eyfs handbook" by p tassoni

7. A year in Reception by Anna Ephgrave.
    Gives a month by month account of what she did in her "outstanding" Reception unit over the course of a year. Also provides planning proformas and "to do" lists for each month. Very easy to read and gives useful and helpful suggestions.
    otwh

8. louisea

louisea New commenter

One of the best ways to get ideas is to keep coming onto this forum! Everyone here has great ideas and suggestions. You can read a million text books but they won't help you when your in the thick of it surrounded by 30 children.

You'll learn so much during your first term! Good luck

9. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

Make FRIENDS!
    Invite local Reception teachers over for coffee and CAKE one day after school or for an hour on the PD day. Become friends, they should feel great that you value their experience and advice. Drop in a card (at their school) this week before term ends with a contact number they may even meet up over the hols (show you round their school before term starts). My best advice to our new reception teacher was; you can only work with the children you have got! A curriculum may say a set of aims, BUT as long as the children move on from where they start do not panic. Find out what their interests are, TV programmes (Peppa Pig / Ben 10) Pets, hobbies (football, bikes, swimming, dance) Make your displays and rewards systems meaningful to them not necessarily what "fits" your topic! Does it really matter if you count how many of Ben 10 bouncing balls go in a a basket or how many pretty autumn leaves you find to count? I can guess which the boys will play counting with longer......

Someone on this blog mentioned the Vacant to Engaged book I have it and most of the info is on Alistars web site " ABC does" I think it is called. Save you money and look at real experiences on the site rather than the book. Have you discovered PTS yet, a sticker website ( they do some nice square Mr Men Stickers) or personalised stamps if you want reward charts. Your school may pay for stickers check before you buy.

thinking of you keep us updated.

10. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Urgent! Spend some time at a good nursery , so you know where your children are coming from. Don't lose sight of the nursery feel, when teaching, as your class should be more like theirs, than the Year 6 one you hear about at every staff meeting. Beware of 'top down' initiatives, ie KS2 ideas which are foisted onto KS1 and yes well, why can't Reception do this too?!! eg targets, working walls, talk partners, KS2 'whole school' play. etc. The EYFS is supposed to be different, so keep your EYFS little flag flying and remember that they are only 4!!!

11. If u want to understand why many children find learning to read difficult and write very difficult, u might like to look at my EnglishSpellingProblems blog. And u don't have to pay a penny.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If on the other hand you actually want to teach children to read avoid masha's blog like the plague [​IMG]

13. Thanks for all your advice! I hadn't thought of contacting other local reception teachers, that might be an idea. Handily quite a lot of the NQTs I know will be in reception too.

I am lucky on that front because I am going into a mixed Rec/Nursery unit so we definitely have that nursery feel!

Unfortunately we do have the whole school behaviour system foisted onto us which is weird for me as my first placement taught me to mix up my reward systems every few weeks to keep it fresh......but I'll see what I can do!

And Masha thanks for your link, I will take a look :)

xxx

PS I've caved and bought ABC's book after my new manager recommended it as well - helps to be on the same page! I do think he is my new teaching hero. The reception year is in the library so will have a glance at that soon too :)