1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essential kit? Essential advice? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rhianrebecca, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hi everyone [​IMG]
    I taught secondary- level science in a mainstream comprehensive for two years, but I am now starting a role as a teaching assistant at a special school for pupils with Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
    Has anyone got any suggestions for essential items of kit for my new job? Or any essential advice they think I should be given as a new TA/ new staff in a special school? I am going to post in the SEN forum too.

Thanks!

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes don't treat any child like another.This disorder is very unique and no two children will have the same traits.Most of them are not aware that they see the world differently until older.I have even known adults that are not aware.Be very patient.They need lots of thinking time.Imagine yourself in a foreign country where no one speaks the same language and you are given lots of different jobs to do which you don't understand.This will give you some idea.
    Try and go on a training course as soon as you can.
    It can be extremely rewarding but at times you may feel frustrated too.Listen and observe.You may work out what upsets someone but the next time it may be different.You may not think it matters to sit in exactly that spot on the carpet but it does and that child cannot concentrate and learn if they are in the wrong space.In time you can sometimes overcome these obsessive traits and help them feel that they can cope if things change.
    Be aware that some pupils with ASD don't like perfume.
    They might be more intelligent than you.
    I hope this helps.

Essestial kit-Take your own mug and lunch for the first week.Don't expect to be able to eat your lunch as you may have to help in the dining hall.If you do get a lunch hour try to go for a walk as it can be very intensive work.Find out if the staff sit on certain seats in the staffroom and don't sit on someone's seat.Good Luck.