1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essential criteria (or lack of)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nomorenails, Jan 22, 2016.

?

would you apply?

1. yes: nothing ventured nothing gained

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no: wasting your time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nomorenails

nomorenails New commenter

Thinking about leaving teaching and moving into a new sector. The job would still be based on learning, which I have a lot of diverse experience in, just not in this sector: which is unfortunately one of the essentials.

I have a couple of casual interactions in this area through courses, and I think I have a good understanding of how the employer approaches things, but on paper... Missing the experience.

Should I apply anyway or is it a waste of time?

2. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Can you speak to the employer to discuss this? If you can link your skills to the criteria and come up with a plan for how to come up to speed quickly, it's certainly a possibility :)

Good luck!

nomorenails likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's a good idea, @oHelzo .

You may have another skill which is highly valued, or on the other hand the experience may be the major criterion, and they expect a good number of applicants who have that.

Try and find out.

Best wishes

nomorenails likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Slightly off the point but this reminds me of the male / female approach to applying for jobs. Guy sees 5 / 10 ' essentials ' and thinks he will walk it. Girl sees 8 / 10 and is reluctant to apply ! Sorry don't mean to generalise here.You never know what a prospective employer may value .Good Luck with your prospective move.

Middlemarch and nomorenails like this.