1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essential criteria - how essential?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by justamyyyyy, Jun 25, 2015.

1. justamyyyyy

justamyyyyy New commenter

Evening all,

I've been reading a new job advert at my old college (where I studied as a student and did my training) for a position in my old department.

Having read through the person specifications I have identified a few criteria that I either have no experience of, little experience of, or am unsure how I would evidence what experience I have with it.

For the criteria listed as essential where I have no prior experience (I came out of training a year ago and have yet secured a teaching position due to lack thereof in my region) - how essential is it that I have the skills? Is a 'passion' and 'enthusiam' to learn enough?

Am I likely to be passed over for interview without a few of the essential criteria?

2. Hi,

I guess it depends greatly on the subject you are applying for. Some colleges insist on degrees some do not. it may be just me but I am finding it very difficult to get into a college role despite having vast experience in my subject area as I have not worked in a college before. When applying for roles if I do not meet the essential criteria I always say I am willing to undertake further training or qualifications needed.

Not sure if this is any help but Good Luck

3. TuckBoom

TuckBoom New commenter

I would say it also depends on the other applicants and how you compare against the short listed grid.