1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ESSENTIAL - Ability to teach Welsh as a second language.

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by opendoors, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Nearly all Primary school teaching vacancies in Wales I have seen, even responded to states that - Ability to teach Welsh as a second language is essential ...

I can't speak, write or read Welsh...

Any advice on what to write on application form and how to respond when invited for interview ...

Can this be regarded as a weakness ...

2. Nearly all Primary school teaching vacancies in Wales I have seen, even responded to states that - Ability to teach Welsh as a second language is essential ...

I can't speak, write or read Welsh...

Any advice on what to write on application form and how to respond when invited for interview ...

Can this be regarded as a weakness ...

3. Well, if they say it's "essential", then I assume, yes, it would be regarded as a weakness. :S

Why not try attending some lessons or a course in Welsh? I don't imagine you'd need a *particularly* high standard of Welsh to teach it as a second language to small children, so it would be a good idea to at least learn something. If you were attending an evening class or whatever, you could then write that on your application and mention it at interview. In that case, if you were the best candidate otherwise, they might still hire you with the hope you'd continue to learn welsh and could possibly help with those lessons in the future. It seems the most sensible thing to do. If Welsh is actually stated as "essential" then it's a considerable disadvantage if you can't speak a word of it.

4. Dysgwch Gymeaeg![​IMG]