1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

essays and capital letters

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pink_tink, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Blonde moment...

Does Numeracy, Literacy and Science have capital letters or not??

Thanks!

2. Blonde moment...

Does Numeracy, Literacy and Science have capital letters or not??

Thanks!

3. are you saying 'Numeracy, Literacy and Science' as a concept? in which case, maybe, usually not. If there is more than one item in a list, use the singular 'do'.
    x

4. ThAnks I StRuGgle WITH CapitAl LeTtErs :p

5. hEhE!!

6. As name of a subject to be taught/studied, they all begin with a capital letter: Literacy, History, Numeracy, Geography, Science etc.
    In any other contexts they don't: e.g. science of computing, average literacy among primary school pupils.

7. I still do not understand this!

At school I was told so long as you were consistent you were fine..

On the other hand my PGCE tutor said always to use capital letters for subjects.

My MA tutor said not to use capital letters except for English!

I was confused, but passed!

Also confused about M rules and N rules instead of hyphens. Actually, not confused, just do not understand at all.

8. M rules and N Rules? what?!!
    When it is a subject it becomes a proper noun, like a name, thus needs the capital letter.....

9. well I am completely baffled.(being dyslexic doesn`t help!)
    I went through my whole essay and changed them back to lower case letters but as they are subjects then maybe they should have capital letters...

10. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Traditionally, the names of school subjects have been written with initial capital letters. This is what many still do and it's a convention that I like.

It seems good to have that distinction between:

"I studied History at school."
    "I studied the history of the school."

However, the modern fashion is to use lower case to begin "mathematics", "science", "geography" etc. when they are used in sentences - whether they name subjects of study or not.

11. markuss

P.S. I think your tutor meant the names of any languages, not just "English". At least, I hope so!

12. I think if you're talking about the subject as a subject and nothing else, use a capital. E.g. I want to study Geography.
    But if it isn't the main thing you're talking about, use lower case. E.g. Learning about the Uk's population is part of the UK's geography.
    Its alomost like an adjective in that case isn't?

13. markuss

Er, no, it's nothing like an adjective.

It's a bit more like an adjective in "a Geography textbook" (but it's still a noun).

14. My god, as educators we must fight the ignorance! Capitalise only subjects that come from a proper noun. England hence English, France hence French. There is no Mathsland or Literacyland.

15. Erm. How about dates?

This thread was last active 5 years ago...

16. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

How did you find this thread ?

17. It's almost like there is a magic way of finding things on the internet...