1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essay Writing Tips

Discussion in 'English' started by gaynorF, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Hi, I teach Science A level, and my A2 students have to write an essay for their exam. I have taking over from another teacher and am amazed at how bad their essay writing is....
    When I tried to teach them how to write a plan you would think I had asked them to donate a kidney...utter shock...they really could not believ essay writing has a technique...that you just blurt out as many facts as you can that closeley link to the title and ...job done ;-(
    As this is a skill they will need when they go to uni I refuse to give up...but am finding explaining what I do by instinct difficult.
    Has anyone got any tips that I could use to help them to improve thier essay writting...
    I would be very greatful...
    xanderlee

2. Hi, I teach Science A level, and my A2 students have to write an essay for their exam. I have taking over from another teacher and am amazed at how bad their essay writing is....
    When I tried to teach them how to write a plan you would think I had asked them to donate a kidney...utter shock...they really could not believ essay writing has a technique...that you just blurt out as many facts as you can that closeley link to the title and ...job done ;-(
    As this is a skill they will need when they go to uni I refuse to give up...but am finding explaining what I do by instinct difficult.
    Has anyone got any tips that I could use to help them to improve thier essay writting...
    I would be very greatful...
    xanderlee

3. I've just compiled a document for my Year 10s - if it's any use I can email it to you.

4. GaynorF - post your email and I'll send you a couple of things you might find useful.

5. Lumpy
    Could I have a copy of your essay writing document please
    Scholly@hotmail.com
    Thank you.
    I am taking a year 10 group soon and think (from what I have observed) that essay writing practice will almost definately be an issue with them.

6. any chance of a copy?

am NQT and an help is much appreciated

huhjul@aol.com

thank-you

7. Hi Lumpy

I find teaching the skills of essay writing very difficult, so I would LOVE a copy of your handout please.

Many thanks
    Lisa

healy_lisa@hotmail.com

8. rfharris

rfharris New commenter

lumpy golighty - is your essay planning document going to be added to the file sharing list? If not, can I beg a copy from you? Sounds really useful.
    Many thanks,
    rharris

9. rfharris

rfharris New commenter

oh whoops - as asda says on its reduced food - just realised I didn't leave an address for that document, after your posting about lack of adresses too! sorry!

rharris address:
    rebecca.silver@ntlworld.com

10. Thank you Lumpy
    Poppit xx

11. Hey! It's lumpy to the rescue again! I would be most grateful if you could send me the document too. Thanks so much.
    southeastwoman@aol.com

12. Hi Lumpy,
    Is there any chance of a copy of essay writing skills too. My year 10's will be writing one this week and they def need direction:

xmas_spirit@hotmail.co.uk

13. sorry- than(k) you.