1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essay Writing - hint for an 'argument'

Discussion in 'English' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you have to make up a title to argue from? If not I don't quite understand why you neccessarily need an argument. You might just be researching relevant information on the subject & I agree you might put forward differing views within that.
    If it were me, I'd rdo the research taking notes & then argue from whichever have most data.

2. Write that essay like this:
    List three or more differentiation strategies, and name them. You will probably have been taught them in the course, but for the sake of illustration we'll use "the different worksheet strategy", the "peer mentoring strategy" and the "optional / timed questions strategy",
    Describe each one as neutrally as possible. Eg optional / timed questions means that you set a list of questions, progressively getting harder, and so long that only the most able pupils have a chance of completing it. Then you allow set time for everyone to do as much as he can.
    Now list the points of weakness and strength - for instance timed questions might encourage loafing, whilst different worksheets don't have this problem. However they are more competitive. That has potential upsides as well as potential downsides. It's easier to produce one list of questions than five or six sets of worksheets. Timed questions are harder to set as homework because you don't know how much time is actually being spent.
    Then sum up - what's your favourite strategy? It's unlikely that any strategy is entirely without merit, so don't be too dismissive. But might want to argue that peer mentoring only works in small, well-motivated groups, for example, which is a polite way of saying that it is useless. Or you might think it is the best method of education - it's certainly got a long tradition. The choice is yours. Ultimately it's your ideas that matter.

3. Many thanks to you all for supporting me in this way.
    All your ideas have been taken on board but I must add, I do wish those who work with maths graduates could give us more consideration for M and H level of work!