1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essay Questions - Help! URGENT

Discussion in 'English' started by corinabonbina, Jan 1, 2016.

1. corinabonbina

corinabonbina New commenter

I am new to GCSE English, for the essay questions there are examples on AQA, however, do we use these or are we to compose our own???? Need urgent advice please.

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Are you actually teaching GCSE English? Really? Really? Have you actually passed GCSE English yourself? really?
    If you are really a teacher you should have access to e-aqa where the controlled assessment questions can be found.
    However, you should have a HOD who will supply you with these questions and guide you regarding controlled assessment administration etc. Plus you should have been provided with a scheme of work.
    Be aware that there is a new GCSE which began in September which does not have controlled assessments. I am still teaching the old spec until June 2016.

3. corinabonbina

Yes I am really a Lecturer, however am new to GSCE, I did not do GSCEs I did "O' Levels! I have access to the website, and have been given a scheme of works by the school, they have had no teacher for several months, all I wanted to know was if I was able to use the sample questions given for Romeo and Juliet and Of Mice and Men. Whilst the site gives detailed information there is no specific detail as to the questions. We will be enrolling them in February. They have been doing some work, but really need to start on assessments ASAP

4. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

OP - could you confirm that this is for Year 11 sitting exams in 2016? Also, could you be more specific about the GCSE. It is AQA - do you know the qualification code?

5. corinabonbina

Yes year 11 .....code is 4700 .....

6. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

If they have no controlled assessments completed then you do need to get a move on. Unfortunately, I don't have direct experience of this particular spec but hopefully others will help out who do have. Therefore please check the following advice with your department but I think that the examples on the websites are guides and as long as you follow the texts and themes you can adapt the specific titles for your class (on the whole) but DO check.

7. corinabonbina

I thought that but it is not clear,we are a very small school we do not have HOD, but thank you for your help it is very much appreciated. I think I will be using the questions given.

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

If this is English, as opposed to English language, you have 26 hours in which to teach Shakespeare; Of Mice and Men and Poetry. Followed by 4 hours writing up time: 1600 words- suggested 500-600 words per text.
    For Creative Writing you have 26hours teaching time. Followed by 3-4 hours assessment time: 1600 words, 800 words per task. Plus speaking and listening tasks x 3. Plus exam revision.
    I hope your entries have been made/ being made soon. I hope you understand how to supervise controlled assessments, plus access arrangements.
    I have been expected to do some barmy things in my time but I think this one really takes the biscuit. I think that you have been stitched up here. For some reason I also think that this could be a private school and it all sounds a bit dodgy to me.
    Good Luck

9. corinabonbina

Yes i understand the controlled assessments etc, yes it is barmy :) yes it is a private school and yes I am under pressure! Thank you for the breakdown. We have been working on Romeo and Juliet so far, I wanted to start with the assessment but could not fathom out how the questions are constructed, (I started at end of December) but think I will be using the example given. We only have 3 learners! We will be entering them in February. Thank you again.

10. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Just in case there is any confusion -

The Controlled Assessment Tasks are given on the Secure Key Materials part of the AQA website and you have to choose from these. (They are very wide questions so it's not really a problem).

If you don't have access to the SKM area, ask your exams officer to organise this for you.

Hope this helps.

11. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

With the task bank, the first table is the selection of themes or ideas and then the second table is a selection of sample questions. You can use the samples or tweek them around the themes and ideas listed in the first table. For example, in the first box it may say something along the lines of 'how is a major theme presented in the text?' and the sample question would be along the lines of 'How is isolation presented in Of Mice and Men?' or 'How is conflict presented in Romeo and Juliet'?. It is acceptable to set questions around this such as, 'To what extent is Crooks the most isolated character?'.
    Hope this helps! If you are seriously concerned, you can email AQA advisor with your draft questions for checking. They are very keen on questions framed within 'To what extent..' to allow for debate and discussion.

12. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

OP:
    Comma splicing alert. Think about the absolute basics, too...

13. selenabart

selenabart New commenter

4700 has 5 CAs not the same 4 as 4705. I teach both - please ask me any questions and I will help. I have lots of resources to help too.