1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Essay plan for Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'English' started by jorb, Feb 13, 2011.

1. jorb

jorb New commenter

My low ability Yr10 are about tostart an essay exploring how the character of Juliet develops in the play. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could pass on suggestions for a foolproof essay plan that I can use with the weakest of my students. Some of them really struggle with the plans that I've been using for coursework, so think that I'm doing something wrong!Any ideas?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Is this for a CA - surely we're not allowed to give plans?
    For low ability (E and below), I normally set a title and then give bullet points so that they have some guidance on what they need to write about and in what order - I'm pretty sure we're allowed to do that still.

3. jorb

jorb New commenter

Thanks.

4. Talk about growing up. They're just slightly older than Juliet, so they can identify with the fact that life is changing rapidly. They are ceasing to be children.
    Then link it to the play - how does Juliet grow up? Get them to list incidents in Juliet's life and relate them to incidents that are happening to them or their friends. As the lesson goes on move it away from specific incidents that happened in real life - that will get them few marks - but talk generally. Does standing up to your parents make you older?

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

If this is for CA on R&J I can't see how it hits the AOs
    In the 'Macbeth' CA I did with a very, very low ability set I have asked them to look at a specific scene and broaden the discussion from it to the whole play. It worked well.