1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Especially for Cherryaimless - a Malory Towers Thread!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hepburn22, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Further to previous posts on this thread, have finally managed to track down the entire set. Was ill earlier in the week and read the whole series through, one after the other, in a couple of days. Fantastic!!! Was like visiting a very old and dear friend after many years apart. Am fighting the temptation to buy every single Blyton ever published... oh dear oh dear. Must get a grip.

2. Yes, I read the entire series in a couple of days also! Great stuff.

3. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

I got two Malory Towers books IN FRENCH!!!!! for my birthday. One is called "Sauvatage a Malory School" which sounds so much more exciting than Second Form at Malory Towers. I'm saving them up for the Easter break. Can't wait!

4. Best. Thread. Ever!

5. LOVED Malory Towers and St Clare's! Can't possibly decide which I liked best.

I remember really liking Sally when I was reading them - I was probably 8 or 9 I think. I now think she's a very boring character, but I was a shy little thing and prided myself on being sensible and well behaved when I was at primary school, so I think I identified with her.

Looking back, Claudine ROCKED and Mary Lou was ace.

I also loved the Naughtiest Girl books. I'm certain that I started reading them when I was in Year 1, so about 5 or 6? My mum got me to take one out of the school library and I practically devoured it. Elizabeth was a great character. I think the books were aimed at a slightly younger reader though.

Was never into Sweet Valley High and never came across trebizon books - were they any good? can you still get them? I feel I've mised out!

6. cherryaimless

Lil*, you can still get the Trebizon books, although I have to admit that Ms Digby succumbed to pressure to "modern them up" and "dumb them down" in the later, post form 5 books. The earlier ones had the feel of Rebecca, middle class comp girl goes to posh school in manner of Cook's daughter goes to posh school in the Bunty...the later ones felt more like Rebecca, saucy tennis player of modern, non-posh boarding school. However, I still love them and re-read them when I have a cold.

Malory Towers still rocks the best (Goodness, how 15 do I sound???!!!)

7. cherryaimless

At least, it felt like she succumbed to pressure. Maybe reading the ones published after my teens in my thirties has coloured my view somewhat...

Have just erected two Ikea Lacks in my bedroom to shelve my Blytons. Now if I wake up in the middle of the night sweating over a dilemma, I can read of girls who manage to sort everything out by half term...or at least by the end of 156 pages!!

8. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

Has anybody read the latest book in the St Clare's series, Kitty at St Clare's? It's written by Pamela Cox, who has already contributed two other books to compliment the original Blyton series, and although it lacks the Blyton edge, it's still a pretty good read!

9. cherryaimless

I read the Pamela Cox one about the Twins being joint Head Girls, but only to finish off the series really, as Blyton couldn't be ***** (I wonder why she didn't do the 6th Form at St Clare's...the 6th Form at Malory Towers was a riot!)

I didn't like it. I shan't be reading another...but thanks for the tip off. (Wink)

10. Do you know i've still got the whole collection, and the St Clare's. Did anybody ever read Anne Digby's boarding school books (Trebizon school)? It was supposed to be a modern take on boarding school stories. I've got all of them too.

11. cherryaimless

You're a bit behind, Mahout... we've touched upon Trebizon...yes, it is remembered, and I have the whole series too.

See some earlier posts if you'd like to revel in Trebizon glory!

12. Oh blast! I'm new on here - still learning. I suppose somebody's already mentioned the Antonia Forest boarding school series too. That series isn't as good as Blyton's or Digby's books though.

13. cherryaimless

Always good to talk about the Towers with a new person. Keep up the good name of the School.

Welcome!

You're in charge of asking Cook for some of her jugs of homemade lemonade - she likes you!

14. 'I suppose somebody's already mentioned the Antonia Forest boarding school series too. That series isn't as good as Blyton's or Digby's books though. '

Have you read AF's non-school Marlow books? I read her school stories as a child, and was a bit puzzled by all the references to happenings outside of school. Then as an adult I came across the rest of the series, and it all made sense! In my view, Peter's Room (where the younger Marlows become obsessive about 'Gondalling' in the style of the Bronte family) is one of the best pieces of children's literature ever.

Must go, have to persuade a housemaid to lend me a frying pan for the sausages...

15. cherryaimless

Just make sure Tessie of the second form doesn't give one of her explosive snorts, or we'll have Matron down on us like a dose!

16. Thought I'd up this thread in case some new posters were just as addicted!

17. Surely it was St Clare's with the Tessie with the explosive snorts!

Love this thread! Who is up for playing a trick on Mam'zelle tomorrow?

18. 'Class' is good isn't it! I read in a few sittings, like I used to do with the Mallory Towers books!

19. I had a girl in my class (year 3) reading Mallory Towers the other day, but she had started on the 2nd book. I told her she needed to read the first one first! I used to love these books. Always wanted a daughter so I could call her Darryll!