1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Especially for Cherryaimless - a Malory Towers Thread!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hepburn22, Apr 19, 2007.

1. I've just re read the first two - got them for my neice for Christmas, now I have to go and buy the set!!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Am a fairly new TESer and have just discovered this thread.

Good to know I'm not alone!

Love St Clares and MAlory Towers - prefer Brent-Dyer's Chalet School - over 50 in the original series - heaven!

3. Loved these books! Pure escapism!

4. You know, one thing that confuses me about Malory Towers is the classroom set up. There are the four towers; North; South; East; West - and the girls all get taught in the same class throughout their education. Now, at any one time we have Darrell; Sally; Gwen; Alicia; Irene; Belinda; Mary-Lou; Daphne; Mavis; Clarissa and Bill. Assuming there's between ten and twelve girls in each tower, that's one huge class! hardly getting their money's worth!!

5. I just got an email from Amazon saying they have been unable to get hold of the boxset and it has been cancelled off my order!!

Anyone else had that? Has anyone actually managed to buy this boxset from Amazon?

6. Oh no Rosbia, that's awful! I saw a boxset in my local WHsmiths a few weeks ago - perhaps you could try there (your local WHsmiths, I mean!) or have a look on ebay.
    AK, you spend too much time thinking about it! I'm sure Cherryaimless will have an answer when she reads your point.

7. Love both MT and SC and also loved naughtiest girl but it didn't have the purity of the other two. Re-reading them in my teens I began to wonder exactly how Rita and William would handle the accusation of a fourth form boy found in the girl's dormatory! Surely a case to call on Miss Belle, Miss Best and Mr Johns to take their seats on the platform.

Loved Mamzelle Dupont, Miss Williams, Miss Peters and of course dea old potty. I always wanted to be Darrell and think I was probably quite like her re the temper etc.

Part of me would love to work in a boarding school but I think it would just shatter the illusion quite a bit!

Trivia Question: What was Jo Jones' Father's nickname when he was at school (MT)?

8. vicar - Cheeky Charlie.

9. Well Done Drea.

10. Also had my boxed set order cancelled by Amazon.

Very fed up now.

11. *blushes*

(knew all that useless information would come in somewhere!)

12. Awww I love Malory Towers, probably more than St Clare's. THat outdoor swimming pool and all those midnight feasts and the beautiful building....*sigh* I really wanted to go to a boarding school when I was 6 or 7!!!

13. Just had the "Thank you" letters from my 3 neices and the 10 year old "really likes" the Malory Towers boxed set. Phew! Was worth the extra fiver paid to the marketplace seller on Amazon. Why don't those of you who had your orders cancelled by Amazon see if the marketplace still has some? What's a fiver? An Americano & granola bar in Starbucks (half an hour's enjoyment) compared to hours of reading pleasure you wouldn't otherwise get.

Thanks for the Christmas gift idea, by the way!

14. OK - I scored!

Went on Amazon Marketplace and picked up a secondhand boxset for, get this - £2.50!! Plus very reasonable P&P of £2.75.

It arrived this morning and you can barely tell it's been read.

I was following some on ebay and the same boxset, also used, recently sold for £15 - even more than Amazon was selling them for brand new. So if I did want to sell it on, I'd almost certainly make a profit. But we'll be keeping them. Can't wait to get stuck in.

15. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Amazon Marketplace rocks!

That's where I got the full set for the French teacher at my school. I didn't show up in my dressing gown, though, claiming that she hadn't said exactly what time after supper I was to take them to her...

It's good to be back.

16. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

AK - you assume that each class has the same number of girls from each tower. Weren't Darrell et al all from North Tower? There may have been 12 from there in that class but there may well have been 6-10 from all of the other three towers.
    Unless there's something in the books I've missed?

17. I've just started reading the first one again. it says there are about 60 girls in each tower - so 240 altogether. And they all go to the same classrooms.

Divide that over 6 years and you get 40 girls per year.

18. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Yes! Don't forget characters like Emily, who sewed that marvellous cushion cover; little Janet (not to be confused with Janet at St Clare's, who had 3 brothers and an armful of tricks up her sleeve...)

19. I absolutely loved those books - and the Chalet School ones too. I vaguely remember Trebizon... (and must admit to owning a fair few sweet valley high books...)
    I'm off to amazon to see what I can buy...I'm off work at the moment and Malory Towers and St Clares seems to be a perfect recipe for my convalescence and recuperation.

20. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Was it not more common then to have larger class sizes anyway, though? Now to us 40 in a class seems outrageous but in Victorian times they used to do double that...so 40 in a 1920s-1940s classroom (cannot remember when exactly MT and SC are set...whoops) might not be so far out.