1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Especially for Cherryaimless - a Malory Towers Thread!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hepburn22, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I LOVED Mallory Towers! This thread has fair got me itching to read them again - wonder if they're in Mum and Dads loft???!!

A couple of summers ago I went to Illfracombe in Devon where there is a swimming pool made of rock! ( I think its where Enid Blyton got the idea from) When we got down there the tide was in and as it went out and the pool slowly emerged I nearly died of excitement!! I was running up and down the beach going "Look! Look!" My other half kept peering out from behind his Landrover magazine and shaking his head at the sad, childlike nutcase who was his perfectly nomal girlfriend a couple of hours before!!

xxx

2. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

Ooh I've just discovered this thread and loved reading it! I too lived in a council house and dreamed of lacrosse and anchovy paste. I remember when Mamzelle played a trick on the girls by wearing joke teeth.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I liked the book, but the use of year 3 to mean 3rd form or year 9 irritated.
    I also hated the way there was an intro to the second book at the end. The second book isn't published yet and so I'm desperate for more!

Malory Towers was always my favourite, far superior to St Clare's. I just wish Enid Blyton had been able to write more and more of the series. I wanted to go to boarding school so much, but all I had were books to lose myself in.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

RATS!!! I forgot to quote the person's post I was responding to! DUH! the book I refer to that I liked, but was a bit irritated by was 'Class'.

5. You can get them on audio book too - fantastic for long car journeys and the actors are so 1950s. I buy them for my 8 year old - but really they are for me!!!!!!

All those memories........

6. well how was an 8 year old year from a surbaban new build 70's west midland estate supposed to know that lacrosse is pronounced " la - cross"

Yet again this christmas my dad will regale the storyacross the dining table to my non plussed husband of my desire to learn how to play " lak -er- roose"

lol!

Might go and buy a couple on ebay!

hated mamzelle - irony now I am an MFL teacher - tiens!

7. I too have just found this thread and have read it all. I loved those books and still have them somewhere ( I hope). My daughter also loved them - think she was about 7/8 when she read them. She then announced, after a bad experience at a new school, that she wanted to go to Boarding school. I remember telling here that it wouldn't be like the Enid Blyton schools. However due to family reasons she did go to boarding school and loved it. It had a modern outlook on the education of girls but many great traditions which could have come straight from Enid Blyton's books. I loved hearing all about it. They worked hard and played hard and yes, she did play lacrosse!

8. I loved this series too !
    I just looked it up on wikipedia and it said this ...
    The German
    translation of the series adds twelve books occurring after the sixth,
    with Darrell (in the German version: Dolly Rieder) returning to a
    college associated with Malory Towers ("Burg Möwenfels"), the
    "Möwennest" (Malory Nest). As the story develops she returns to Malory
    Towers, first as educator, then she becomes matron of the famous 'North
    Tower' where she resided as a child. She marries her former "Möwennest"
    teacher in German and Literature, has a baby girl (Katharina) and
    finally becomes headmistress of Malory Towers, after Miss Grayling
    (Frau Greiling) had been seriously injured in a traffic accident, and
    is unable to work any longer. Several other characters from the first
    six volumes appear again: Felicity (Felizitas), Darrell's sister, gets
    her A-Levels at Malory Towers and moves on to the Malory Nest. Later
    she marries one of Bill's brothers. Bill (Will) and her friend Clarissa
    take over the riding school of both Malory Towers and Malory Nest,
    Gwendoline (Evelyn) is a student at Malory Nest in Vols. 7 to 9, and
    Ellen returns to Malory Towers first as teacher, marries a colleague
    and succeeds Darrell as matron of the North Tower when Darrell becomes
    headmistress in Vol. 18. Vol. 14 ("Klassentreffen auf der Burg") is
    about a class reunion, with most of the characters from the first six
    volumes in attendance.

Although these books also bear the author's name Enid Blyton, they
    are not translations of any English books, and some serious fans
    question their authenticity and their right to be counted as 'canon'.
    The author who wrote these books is Rosemarie von Schach who uses
    several pseudonyms - such as Enid Blyton and Claudia Jones. She is best
    known as Tina Caspari and the likeness between Tina Caspari's books
    (most of them are about girls or horses) and the added
    Malory-Towers-books is striking.

Bizarre !!!

9. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

I was convinced that lacrosse was pronounced lacrossy!

10. jellytot24

jellytot24 New commenter

I loved loved loved loved these books when I was about 7/8, I still have them and will never get rid of them! My dad likes to borrow them every few years, strange old man.

One of my year 4s borrowed a couple last year and spent all her birthday money on the rest of the set, I was so pleased that someone else was enjoying the series'. I always preferred Malory Towers to St Claires, I loved sport (still do) and Darrell was my hero!

Ah happy memories...

11. Great thread!
    Harry Potter and his pals have nothing on our girls from MT and SC.
    Anyone remember "OI" in pink chalk on Mamzelles bum?!

12. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

That was when Darrell realised that Alicia was so fickle in her attentions...

13. I've just read all of Pamela Cox's sequels - according to bloke at library, I was the second person to request them, so there must be another Mallory Towers fan locally [​IMG]

14. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Did NOT like the Pamela Coxes. Rubbish! I was so disappointed too. Ah well... I am consoling myself with collecting versions in French, German and other languages now instead...

15. Masfar

Masfar New commenter

Wohoo! Malory Towers. believe it or not i actually went to the boarding school that the books were based on - complete with a rock swimming pool and various towers as the different houses!

And I can assure you prep, midnight feasts and LOTS of lacrosse, hockey, swimming and tennis all existed when I finished in 2001!

16. LossieLaxton

LossieLaxton New commenter

Does anyone think that June should have been expelled from Malory Towers?

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No, because she showed remorse. For Blyton, this was her redeeming factor. It's more surprising that 'dear' Gwendolyn wasn't expelled.

Why aren't the originals available on Kindle? The Pamela Cox updates are...and the original (and updated) Naughtiest Girl series are there....but not the original Malory Towers or St Clares....I'd love to have them as e-books!
    It's good to see Bettany Press have released a few Brent-Dyers and Chalet fill-ins as e-books! We want more!

18. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

You may have just convinced me to get a Kindle Beth! [​IMG]

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

[
    You won't regret it! Best present in ages!
    So, are you a fellow EBD fanatic?

20. Which school is this out of curiosity?