1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ESOL Beginner Literacy Resources

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Alisonkenny, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Hi, I am currently teaching adult ESOL Beginner literacy students and wondered if anyone knows of any really basic resources/materials/books/websites etc suitable for use with very low level ESOL literacy learners. I use talent and Lisa Karlsen's ESOL Literacy resource pack and make most of my own resources but it would be great to know of anything else which others have found useful.

2. Hi, I am currently teaching adult ESOL Beginner literacy students and wondered if anyone knows of any really basic resources/materials/books/websites etc suitable for use with very low level ESOL literacy learners. I use talent and Lisa Karlsen's ESOL Literacy resource pack and make most of my own resources but it would be great to know of anything else which others have found useful.

3. I have been teaching similar classes for a few years now. There is very little out there, but you will need to do phonics if they are preliterate, ( plenty of things on the net) and also give practice in visual discrimination, which is often very poor. In my experience, using the smartboard, with one word or sentence at a time is better than reading from paper . less confusion amongst the students. Teaching ESOL preliterates is a hard job, with little research in this area. There is a book published by the lecturers at Tower Hamlets College that offers advice, but no materials. I have found my knowledge about literacy develoopment more useful than ESOl training.
    littlebee

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Congratulations; two first posts and only a second, covering an interesting topic.

5. I have just finished adapting reading & spelling resources that were made for primary pupils. I have changed most of the pictures on the games that have them to be more suitable for older students after requests from teachers in secondary schools, young offender groups & special needs departments in further education colleges. The resources were made for dyslexic pupils but would be ideal for anyone experiencing difficulties. There are over 300 resources on a CD that can be printed & made up. They follow a structured programme of phonics & there are numerous posters of mnemonics & pictures of sight words as well as posters of phonic patterns. I can email examples if you contact me.
    margaret2612@btinternet.com
    www.helpingdyslexia.co.uk

6. You might find it useful to look at my posting to Alison Kenny on the subject of reading & spelling resources for older students.
    margaret2612@btinternet.com

7. There is a new website with free printable ready-made worksheets for teaching and learning ESOL: http://esolworksheets.com Mainly, there are resources for developing reading and writing skills at basic and intermediate levels. The collection of worksheets is being constantly updated, therefore I believe it's worth keeping an eye on it. Hope that's of help. :)