1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ESL Tuition - any advice please?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by helenemdee, Jun 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. helenemdee

helenemdee New commenter

One of my existing clients whose son I tutor has asked me to do some English speaking tuition with his elder daughter aged 18. She has just arrived from China to live in England and speaks next to no English. (I don't know any Chinese either). This is to 'tide her over' until she goes to college to study English in September. As I already work with the family, I'd like to help, but this isn't my forte - I usually teach primary-age English and Maths. Could anyone advise me on where to start with teaching English as a second language, or any good website or book resources? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

British Council have some useful resources.

3. joyce-b

joyce-b New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

4. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I have taught eal students in class and as a tutor. Many had very poor English.

Start from the basics alphabet, 100 most common words etc, start reading books and use digraphs.

I would always read to my real students and used lots of pictures in the beginning.

Once they see their knowledge building they will gain confidence and want to know more.

My eal students were all lovely to teach!

Good luck