1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ESL teacher in international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kristinamaki, Nov 28, 2015.

1. kristinamaki

kristinamaki New commenter

I am currently teaching ESL to first graders in an international school in Italy. I have a CELTA and also teach ESL to children ages 6-16 in language schools. This is only my second year of teaching. Before coming to Italy, I taught in the UK (students aged 16+ and adults).

I am thinking about further professional development but am unsure which route to take. I plan to teach in international schools so I am not worried about QTS in any particular country, unless international schools require this. I don't know whether it would be better to complete a PGCE (but if so, in what subject) or a general MA in Education. Some international schools seem to require a PGCE, though they do not say whether an MA is also acceptable. Before I began teaching in Italy, I was also offered jobs at schools where I was told the CELTA and my BA and MA degrees were sufficient. (My degrees are in Swahili and Development Studies and African Literature respectively).

Any advice would be welcome and I'd love to hear from ESL professionals in international schools!

Best wishes,
    Kristina Maki