1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ESF vs. other independent Hong Kong International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fluteman, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hey,

I am really interested in teaching in Hong Kong as of September 2011.

I have requested application details for jobs that are already being advertised for September 2012 but I'm not sure whether to hold out and wait for ESF.

Does anyone have any advice re. which schools to apply for... Is it better to hold out for ESF or are all of the schools similar?

Hope to hear from someone soon!!

2. hi,
    best apply for the international school placements first as they come out earlier than ESF schools, that way you get your foot in the door. ESF schools are quite good and secure to work for, however I find that international schools tend to offer more benefits, plus they don;t usually advertise till after xmas
    [​IMG]

3. Staffo

Staffo New commenter

Fluteman,
    I'd go along with Scosa's comments. There are plenty of excellent international schools in HK, and if you like the place there will always be opportunities to move once you been here a couple of years.
    I know people who have worked or do still work at Canadian, Singaporean & German-Swiss, all of which hire UK teachers, and have heard plenty of good things about them. Also, the new Harrow school is opening this coming August.
    Good luck!

4. Hi,

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.

It's much appreciated and afraid I am unsure how to add to the forum rather than respond... I figured I'd send my reply to both of you.

Ultimately, I want to be in Hongers and so I think I'l apply anyway and hope for the best.

Are you teaching in Hongers yourself/have you taught there...?!

The job that is out at present for Aug 2012 is for Discovery Bay International School...

I may not even get an interview but let's hope so...

Thanks again,

Fluteman