1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Escape Plan Advice!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MissHoward, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

After all the lovely, lovely posts I had in response to manic 'help!' of recent times have been doing a lot of thinking, and have decided to leave current job at the end of the summer term. Phew...a weight off my mind, I should think, but...
    Am currently putting feelers out and have spotted a post in a school much nearer to where I live, the closing date for which is this Friday. I'm not sure if I'd even get shortlisted for the post as it is in an age range I haven't taught for 2 years, but considering that I will have sent off my application, I know that I will need to let my head know. As I fully intend to continue with job seeking even if this application unsuccessful, is it going to be horrendous at work for the remaining months, give what this HT has been like in terms of extreme pressure, etc? Any advice from you wise owls on tack to take in giving reason? Was thinking of saying that I would prefer to work in age range I was teaching in previously (which am unable to do in my current school as we in 3-tier system). Is this a cop-out? Will it wash or just make the HT really really not happy with me? Gaaaah... I know what I have to do. It's just the thought of telling her I'm planning on leaving, when there is no guarantee I'll actually find anything else quickly or at all, makes me feel almost as physically sick as the thought of staying at this school! As I have been so stressed of late I think my performance has suffered, so am also worried I may get a rubbish reference from HT despite slogging my guts out. Any thoughts? As always, your advice really, really appreciated.
    Hope you are all having a good week. Take care,
    [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone,

After all the lovely, lovely posts I had in response to manic 'help!' of recent times have been doing a lot of thinking, and have decided to leave current job at the end of the summer term. Phew...a weight off my mind, I should think, but...
    Am currently putting feelers out and have spotted a post in a school much nearer to where I live, the closing date for which is this Friday. I'm not sure if I'd even get shortlisted for the post as it is in an age range I haven't taught for 2 years, but considering that I will have sent off my application, I know that I will need to let my head know. As I fully intend to continue with job seeking even if this application unsuccessful, is it going to be horrendous at work for the remaining months, give what this HT has been like in terms of extreme pressure, etc? Any advice from you wise owls on tack to take in giving reason? Was thinking of saying that I would prefer to work in age range I was teaching in previously (which am unable to do in my current school as we in 3-tier system). Is this a cop-out? Will it wash or just make the HT really really not happy with me? Gaaaah... I know what I have to do. It's just the thought of telling her I'm planning on leaving, when there is no guarantee I'll actually find anything else quickly or at all, makes me feel almost as physically sick as the thought of staying at this school! As I have been so stressed of late I think my performance has suffered, so am also worried I may get a rubbish reference from HT despite slogging my guts out. Any thoughts? As always, your advice really, really appreciated.
    Hope you are all having a good week. Take care,
    [​IMG]

3. If she doesn't like you, she'll give you a good ref to get rid of you (yeah, I know, not allowed...blah blah blah HEADS NETWORK!!!!!!!!HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

If she likes you, she'll give a good ref.[​IMG]

4. Well done on making the decision to resign. It isn't easy to do. I know you had stated that application deadline for the job you fancy was Friday but thought I'd share my experience.
    I left a permanent post over a year ago. It was a rare moment of clarity and courage. I resigned before I had even applied for anywhere else! I wrote a letter with a simple statement like:
    I am resigning from the post of X with effect from Y. I feel it is time for me to take the next steps in my career and I will be looking for jobs during the Autumn Term.
    Then a very concise but positive paragraph about appreciating the unique opportunities and experiences . Not an untruth insight as there were good things about the job... sometimes!
    I was worried about the reference from HT too. I asked super lovely Chair of Governors for a reference too which made me feel much better. Do you have someone else you would be happy to use for your other referee?
    I wouldn't worry about going for a post in a different year group. Especially if you have taught it as recently as 2 years ago.
    Hope you are okay. Take care of yourself.