1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ES help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3407, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Having submitted two applications (out of seven) both with an ES I have seen the light and believe they are the way to go! HOWEVER, have hit a bit of a stumbling block with one of them. You see, the school has 20, that right 20, individual points in their person spec. I guess I'm wondering how I'm suppose to fit these onto one page!

2. I suppose I should also say, the school hasn't actually placed a limit on how much 'extra' info I can add, but figured the standard 2 page letter and one page ES would be the best way to go to avoid them getting bored!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Right, let's look at this.
    Yes, you are correct: just 1 page Executive Summary if it's not a Headship that you are going for this week. [​IMG]
    So what you do is:
    prioritise. What is most important for them?
    summarise. Can you say it in very few words? Look at my example - it was a full, long, sentence for each one, I summarised.
    combine. Put 2 or more together
    omit. Part of the prioritising really.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is asked so often and if you do a quick search, something like Executive Summary help/problem and tick the Jobseekers only option you'll find some advice.
    Generally summed up, it suggests combining points logically together though.

5. DONE IT (Just about). The issue wasn't necessarily what I was typing, but more the wordy way they had written their spec. Trying to de-construct all of that. Plus things like 'can show integrity' and has 'resilience in the face of challenges' always throw me a bit.