1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Err, what?!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Teslasmate, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/our-sterile-curriculum-has-no-room-compassion

Which planet is the author from where pupils take too much ownership when they fail?
    In my world, pupils usually assume everything is the fault of someone else. They have no responsibility and it's because the teacher is parc / the school is parc / they don't have the latest iphone / there's a y in the month.
    Mind you the article looks very confused. It starts off complaining about the curriculum, then segues into 'young people feel responsible for socio political events'. Doubt it.

fraisier, Jamvic, emeralds and 5 others like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Rather highbrow for TES News and, while I acknowledge in the abstract some points made by Ms Pleasance, I abhor the smuggling into the classroom, at any stage, of politics disguised as compassion.

Pomza, bevdex and agathamorse like this.
  3. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Certainly my experience was that SMT blamed teachers for failure. To this end, the wider system set up a number of shortcuts to sacrifice education on the altar of failure prevention.
    Whether the kid themselves saw their failure as someone else's fault, I'm not so sure. My stock speech welcoming each cohort of GCSE Eng resit students was always: you didn't get the grade, it may be your fault, it may be legitimately someone else's fault, but only you can do anything about it now.
    In my own education can point to underperformance that is 100% on me. I can also point to a couple of occasions where abysmal teaching was a contributing factor. But overall, I own my failures. I wonder if kids actually internalise ownership of their failures (regardless of the whole "It's not my fault" that they say).

fraisier and agathamorse like this.
  4. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

The author of this piece is on another planet. Kids blame everyone and everything but never themselves.

emeralds, thekillers1 and agathamorse like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

fraisier and thekillers1 like this.
  6. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

I don't know how TES can publish such nonsense, honestly. If you were to unpick that shoddy piece of "research", you just wouldn't know where to start.

colpee likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's clickbait. One of the mods will open a thread with the title of an absurd tes article. We all pile in indignant and the click rate goes up, impressing the advertisers.

colpee likes this.