1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eric Liddell, the Sabbath and the Olympics

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Sophie1329, May 3, 2012.

1. I am looking to teach a lesson on Eric Liddell and the olympics. Working with primary 7 pupils. I was thinking about linking its too the Sabbath since he refused to run a race because it was due to take place on a sunday. Any interactive activities or ideas for this lesson, or something similar please let me know.

2. I am looking to teach a lesson on Eric Liddell and the olympics. Working with primary 7 pupils. I was thinking about linking its too the Sabbath since he refused to run a race because it was due to take place on a sunday. Any interactive activities or ideas for this lesson, or something similar please let me know.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

i've never heard of him, is he similar to Jonathan Edwards - he retired from long jump and there was a thing about him not jumping on a Sunday.
    But I really posted to point out that Sunday is not the Sabbath!

4. It was for Liddell - he was a Christian!

5. 576

576 Established commenter

Let the RE lesson begin:
    The word Sabbath means SEVENTH, it is the last day of the week (Friday Sunset to Saturday sunet) and is a day of REST observed by Jews and Seventh Day Adventists following God's rest on the Sabath following creation in Genesis.
    Christians however (excepting Seventh Day Adventists) are freed from all old testament laws. Thus it is not necessary for them to observe a day of rest. What they do observe is a day of WORSHIP on Sunday (the FIRST) day of week. Reasons for this being linked to the Roman society of the day - but also - remembering that that was the day of Jesus' resurrection.
    <u>It doesn't matter what religion you are Sunday is not and never will be the Sabbath.</u>

One is a day of rest on the 7th day
    One is a day of worship on the 1st day
    (the fact that Jews also worship on the Sabbath and many Christians also rest on a Sunday is actually secondary to the main purpose of the day)

6. ok - forget the rants and the nitpicking, you want to teach a lesson - sunday was the sabbath for liddel and he wouldn't race on it, so he was shifted to a different olympic event
    however, as a prisoner of war, he refereed matches, but again, wouldn't do so on the sabbath till he realised that without him, the matches went ahead but were bad-tempered even violent, so he went against his theological principle for a practical 'loving his fellow man' one - so 'tis said
    you could google all this very easily - once you have the facts you think you want to use assembled, perhaps we could help you polish them as a lesson plan
    btw - pardon ignorance - what are primary 7 pupils? y7 in a middle school? 7yo's in a primary school? not meaning to be sarcastic - just genuinely puzzled

7. Thank you so much for this.
    Primary 7 pupils are those in their final year before going onto secondary schools in Scotland.

8. ah - 10 and 11yo's then
    there's scads of stuff on the net on eric liddell, including a you tube video of his gold run - there's an eric liddell centre in glasgow - ongoing legacy and all that
    could you tie it into the man with the withered hand and 'is it right to do good on the sabbath'