1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Er... who am I supposed to clap for tonight?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Apr 9, 2020.

1. WB

WB Senior commenter

I'm getting a bit tired of this.

I know they (insert job title here) deserve it but it just seems a gesture now.

Here's one for next week. Clap for delevery drivers - let's all go outside sometime between 9am and 6pm.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Clap could spread like coronavirus, so you can give everyone the clap if you want to. (Not been any sight (sound?) of it round here.)

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..if it's Yodel drivers we'll have to stand in another street round the corner.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

According to the evening news. NHS workers, Supermarket workers, post workers, delivery drivers, refuse collectors, bus drivers,

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If it's Yodel Drivers you stand in the Dustbin

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Anyway clap for my little girl - she's already worked 36 hours this week - mostly "proning" very ill people.

....and if you don't know what that is then look it up.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

WB likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or throw yourself over a fence.

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Can’t it just be taken as read that each Thursday we are all clapping to show our appreciation for everyone working hard to save lives or keep the country going.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

or move in next door.

agathamorse and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  12. WB

WB Senior commenter

I just looked up proning.

I heard about this the other day.

I'm not the clapping type but with all my heart I thank your daughter and her colleagues for all they are doing. You are clearly very proud of your daughter and rightly so. I look forward to the day you post on here to tell us that the crisis in your daughter's hospital is over and that you have her back safe and well.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to the Telegraph...

Clap For Our Carers is a campaign that involves Britons up and down the country applauding National Health Service doctors, nurses, cleaners, and other healthcare staff on the front line of the battle against coronavirus.
    So don't clap for your delivery drivers, care home workers or anybody who isn't an NHS employee.

TBH I feel a bit manipulated by the the campaign. I don't like being pressurised by internet sentimentality (reminds me of the 'Death of Diana'.) I do know some NHS workers and none of them think the public isn't supporting them. My neighbours are enthusiastic clappers but none have done diddly-squat to offer any practical help AFAIK.

Feels like a lot of self-indulgent virtue-signalling to me. By which I mean (before someone tries to shoot me) those doing the clapping seem to get far more out of it than those they are ostensibly clapping for.

14. WB

WB Senior commenter

I feel any take pictures of themselves and head straight for Facebook.

VeronicAmb and ajrowing like this.
  15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We went out for the first one but that is all. Some people appear to use it to show off in some way eg video of your child playing an instrument instead of clapping.

agathamorse, ShowerGel and catmother like this.
  16. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Well if there isn't a photo on facebook it didn't happen.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly how I feel. However,if people want to do it,it doesn't bother me.

18. Rott Weiler

Now I am being deliberately provocative here (nicely I hope) but how far does your definition of people who "keep the country going" extend?

Private Parking Company tow truck drivers?

Baliffs/High Court Enforcement Officers?

Ticket Tout Websites?

Sex workers?

Hedge Fund Managers?

Foreign Exchange Dealers?

Council Park Gardeners?

The bloke in the newsagent near me who sells cigarettes to children (allegedly)?

Off licence employees?

(See what I mean by provocative? :))

But who does qualify for getting a clap tonight?

agathamorse, ShowerGel and WB like this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

If you read the Clap for our Carers website, they include all key workers in it . . .everybody from cleaners to bus drivers to supermarket staff.

20. Rott Weiler

So Teachers are key workers? Teachers on TES are clapping themselves? (Sorry, I'm being provocative again :) If makes someone happy to clap then go for it of course. But I won't be)

agathamorse, ilovesooty, WB and 2 others like this.