1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

er sound - any inspiring ideas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Marm0010, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    the er sound is the next on my list and I am struggling to come up with anything that might capture the attention of my children (29 Reception class who are as wild as the wind today).
    Does anyone have any ideas or something good that they have tried/done?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated, thank you x

2. Hi everyone,
    the er sound is the next on my list and I am struggling to come up with anything that might capture the attention of my children (29 Reception class who are as wild as the wind today).
    Does anyone have any ideas or something good that they have tried/done?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated, thank you x

3. I can send you 3 fairly simple /er/ posters that I have. Could they draw spiders to put er words on, birds or birthday presents for ir words on and simple church pictures to put the ur words on. The words could be put on large pictures that they make as a group or class. I am trying to think what might be a bit more appealing than a church for ur words. Surfer maybe or different designs of purses!
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I would suggest burp and slurp for this age group. Also curls.
    At what age would you start to show that -er is the er sound that you get at the end of a word - e.g. teacher, butcher, farmer, cooker, Mr Maker, baker, hammer etc etc.

5. I would teach all variations but accept any in a word. Discuss.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

That made everyone go quiet!
    I forgot to add burper and slurper to my list.
    Start of discussion: I think that by the time a child can read approx bookband white, and enjoys writing whatever they want to write in phonically plausible spelling, that should start to learn why some of the phonic options are not generally options e.g. that the ur sound at the end of a two or more syllable word is generally -er etc. So it is not burpur or burpir or but burper. How do you spell a person who slurps?

7. We made banana milkshakes and make the er sound as the blender went round.

8. We've added a short sound to the mixer action, so we do errrrr, er etc. Being from Yorkshire, it's easier to do the er as in spider, and I think they've got it!

The thing I am struggling is teaching the variations of sounds without being able to give a reason in 4/5 year old friendly terms why pie is pie and not pigh. Should I just be teaching the children to read the sounds and accepting all ideas when I ask for a word with one of the sounds in?

9. Have you tried telling them that you are teaching them a special code which is complicated because lots of people have come to our country from other countries with other languages and written codes?
    I have used an alphabetic code chart even in Reception.
    On phonics lesson one, when I was teaching newby Reception children about the letter 's' and how it was code for the /s/ sound - modelling some blending and modelling some oral segmenting and spelling, Alice said to me, 'Mrs Hepplewhite, I can hear that sound in my name, but I don't have that letter in my name'.
    So, I said, 'Hmm... let's think about the sounds in your name, Alice. Let's say them together. /a/ /l/ /i/ /s/. Now let's write your name on the board and then we'll say the sounds. Which letters are left as code for the sound /s/ in your name. Yes, those letters [point to the ce].'
    'Now, let's look at our chart, Alice. Look, here is the sound we are teaching, and along this row we can see the letter s as in snake. Now, here we can see the letters at the end of your name which are code for the /s/ sound. Look, they are in the word 'palace'. There are many other words like that such as 'dance' and 'prince'. I am going to teach you more about that later.'
    Alice, and another boy in the class, were more than capable of learning both the 's' and the 'ce' as code for the sound /s/. A few other children in that class were too.
    So, on day one, a group of the children had already doubled the amount of learning for the /s/ sound. But they were also on their way to understanding all about our written code, that it was historical, that I would teach them more later, that other teachers would teach them later - and that this was actually very interesting and exciting - and would soon prove to be enormously empowering.
    If you use an alphabetic code chart in your classrooms, it might help the adults in the teaching, even if you don't choose to use it with the children themselves.

10. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1_pdfs/The%20English%20Alphabetic%20Code%20-%20complete%20picture%20chart.pdf
    This will help to explain that sometimes words are spelled with the same sound - but different bits of code such as in 'tie' and 'night'.
    If your whole school is working collectively, you can be reassuring about the learning, explaining that Mr or Mrs or Miss So-and-so will be teaching that 'again later' or 'more later'.
    Also, I suggest that you don't avoid or fear the notation of the sounds as shown in slash marks. This helps both the teachers and the learners to know when you mean a 'sound' and when you mean a 'spelling'.
    So, when you get onto spelling alternatives, you can write the focus sound, in its slashmark, and say, 'Today we are going to focus on the /igh/ sound and we are going to look at two ways that we can spell this sound - and some words to show the two different ways to write the code for the /igh/ sound:
    /igh/ -ie -igh
    I'll say some words (slowly) and we'll work out what sounds we can hear: 'tie' /t/ /igh/'
    Well, that word is spelled with this bit of code for the /igh/ sound that we can hear.
    [Write two sound dashes after you have tallied the sounds onto left hand thumb and finger, palm facing].
    Either drag down some grapheme tiles or write the graphemes on the sound dashes. Then sound out and blend to 'check' the spelling.
    <u>t</u> <u>ie</u>
    Do the same for some other words and write them under the correct columns.
    Refer to the sound and graphemes in the /igh/ row.
    'Later we'll learn more spellings for the /igh/ sound. At the moment, we can learn a few words with these spellings.'

11. Thank you for all the replies. Some very interesting discussions and useful tips. Think I am going to go for using a mixer to make biscuits and doing the er sound.