1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Equivalent qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MisterMaker, Jun 15, 2015.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Whilst preparing early for ads for jobs next year (2016) I was going over the section of required attributes for candidates. In line with many international schools, the expectations are for British or equivalent teaching qualifications.

The question(s):

Which qualifications would you consider equivalent? I've suggested some quality levelling below, any thoughts?

<ol>
    [*]Any British Isles PGCE / BEd (English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish), Australian, US, New Zealand
    [*]Scandinavian with fluent English (Norway, Sweden, etc)
    [*]Other western European
    [*]SE Asia, China
    [*]South American, South African, India,
    [*]other Sub continent, other African, English GTP
    </ol>
    Of course, this is generalised and does not take into account that a Brit with a PGCE can sometimes be a rubbish teacher, and a teacher from China with appropriate support can be outstanding.

As many schools now find filling places with British teachers harder, they sometimes look to other countries, but will often pay variable rates for the same job. I know some people disagree with this. Do you think people with different qualifications should be paid differently? Another suggested table for normal salaries based on qualification (please note, this is about qualification not nationality, so a Brazilain teacher with British qualifications would be on the higher level:

Average world monthly salaries estimated levelling

<ol>
    [*]&pound;2000
    [*]&pound;2000
    [*]&pound;2000
    [*]&pound;1000
    [*]&pound;800
    [*]&pound;500
    </ol>

2. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

You missed Canada, or maybe that was deliberate. On my side of Canada you need five and a half years of university (four year BA + one full year B.Ed.) before you can get into the classroom. I believe, in the UK, you can now have a BA/BSc + Masters in Teaching in four years. Just sayin'... The UK government now gives QTS to any Canadian, US, Australian and New Zealand teachers, for free, on production of a letter from the teacher's college or teacher's licensing body. Clearly they think it's equivalent.

3. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

You could consider using NARIC https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/ as a comparison tool and, in the interests of equity and transparency, basing pay differentials on that.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Where would you place the iPGCSE that a great many teachers on the international circuit are using to obtain work in many schools.

When you consider that the iPGCSE offered by at least 2 UK universities has no QTS awarded to it by the government.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

MisterMaker - in the UK the FE teaching qualification - QTLS - is now considered the equivalent of QTS for teaching in maintained schools.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

6. MisterMaker

Thanks, Theo.

7. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

I suspect this might be a tongue-in-cheek thread but this is my two pennyworth.

In Scotland its called a PGDE, not a PGCE. It was decided (I don't know by whom) that the course offered in Scotland is a higher qualification than a certificate. Unlike in England, you need to have a degree in the subject you want to teach in order to get onto a PGDE and a degree transcript has to be presented to the university before you can start.

You forgot to include Northern Ireland. BEds and PGCEs are offered at two universities in Northern Ireland. They're extremely hard courses to get onto so anybody who gets a place has stood out in interviews and selection.

GTPs appear to be a source of cheap labour to fill gaps in the system. You can't teach in either of the above countries with only a GTP - you need to undergo further training.

8. MisterMaker

The cursed pedants that roamed these here virtual lands in the past are largely gone. Nevertheless: The last time I looked, N.I. was still part of the British Isles and part of Ireland.

I haven't hired a GTP since realising my error in doing so almost 5 years ago.

9. davidbowiefan

Its part of the UK and has been since 1921.

The last time you looked must have been a very long time ago!

10. davidbowiefan

To earn that title I would need to indicate that postgraduate teacher training qualifications in the Republic of Ireland aren't called PGCEs, although I'm sure they amount to the same thing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/teachers_and_schools/teacher_qualifications_at_primary_and_post_primary_level.html

I might even need to go further and add that prospective teachers are required to have a pass in Irish at the equivalent of A Level before they are accepted onto a course.

I have no idea what bearing this might have on their teaching ability.

11. MisterMaker

NI is part of the island of Ireland. The Island of Ireland is part of teh British Isles.
    I do hope you don't teach geography.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

[​IMG]
    http://irelandnow.com/island.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

12. MisterMaker

Fantastic formatting from TES again. As they pre moderate everything I do I couldn't re-edit to sort their mess out. Hopefully this works better:

MisterMaker wrote the following post at 18-6-2015 14:28:

NI is part of the island of Ireland. The Island of Ireland is part of teh British Isles.

I do hope you don't teach geography.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

[​IMG]

http://irelandnow.com/island.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
    BTW: You wouldn't be going and confusing Ireland with &Eacute;ire, would yah not?

13. davidbowiefan

Deleted post, as the original disappeared.

14. davidbowiefan

The post I was replying to has disappeared.

How strange!

15. davidbowiefan

Thank you Mister Maker for sending me a message to say your post has be re-instated. I managed to read the original before your comments were removed. We all have personal prejudices and if you are involved with recruitment at your school, yours are food for thought.