1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

equivalent fractions - tutor visit ahh..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scaredstudentteacher, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Well, I need a fun and inspiring lesson on equivalent fractions because I think I may get a tutor visit tomorrow. My brain is quite frazzled. It is a year 5 and a really chatty class. I want it practical but I don't know what I could do other than cut up strips of paper.

2. Well, I need a fun and inspiring lesson on equivalent fractions because I think I may get a tutor visit tomorrow. My brain is quite frazzled. It is a year 5 and a really chatty class. I want it practical but I don't know what I could do other than cut up strips of paper.

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Fun and inspiring are not always the same thing of course, but you might try an equivalent fractions version of 'SNAP' where you have things like 2/3 and 8/12 on cards...or what about using arrays where you first draw a grid with 3 columns and shade 2 of them. Next draw three lines right across the grid (cutting it into 12 sections).
    They can see that you haven't shaded any extra bits, and now there are 8/12 shaded, so 8/12 must be equivalent to 2/3.
    Just a couple of ideas - and of course, get the children to draw out their own grids to demonstrate a range of equivalent fractions.
    Good luck, and don't be scared. And don't make it inspiring just because you have a tutor visit - make it inspiring because that is what your children deserve.

4. Does the school have Number Fun? Great song about equivalent fractions [​IMG]