1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment advice needed!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jubileebabe, Jan 8, 2012.

1. We are looking at travel systems but I am wondering if we really need it. How long can the pram/ carrycot part be used for? Do you use it often? I am thinking that most of the time I will be going out it will be to the suermarket and I can't push that round the aisles! Also, the baby is due in April and it is pretty hot here so I am wondering if a stroller that is suitable from birth would be enough.

I am also looking at recommendations for slings/ carriers. There are so many out there and it is difficult to know what to look out for when getting one.

Lastly (for now!) did you use a basket or crib in the beginning or put the baby straight in a cot? If you used a basket or crib, how long did you use that for?

I would also like to hear if there is something you bought that you didn't use.

Thanks in advance!
    <font face="Verdana" size="1">
    [​IMG]</font>

-->

2. We are looking at travel systems but I am wondering if we really need it. How long can the pram/ carrycot part be used for? Do you use it often? I am thinking that most of the time I will be going out it will be to the suermarket and I can't push that round the aisles! Also, the baby is due in April and it is pretty hot here so I am wondering if a stroller that is suitable from birth would be enough.

I am also looking at recommendations for slings/ carriers. There are so many out there and it is difficult to know what to look out for when getting one.

Lastly (for now!) did you use a basket or crib in the beginning or put the baby straight in a cot? If you used a basket or crib, how long did you use that for?

I would also like to hear if there is something you bought that you didn't use.

Thanks in advance!
    <font face="Verdana" size="1">
    [​IMG]</font>

-->

3. i used a travel system. it was great to be able to leave the baby sleeping in his car seat and clip him onto the wheels. i also used the carrycot as his bed for the first 10 weeks of his life and didn't buy a moses basket. i bought my travel system second hand on ebay. it was over &pound;800 new in mamas and papas and &pound;35 on ebay in good condition. i pushed LO around in the carrycot until he was about 5 months old as i liked it better than the pushchair as he didn't have to be strapped in and i could sit him up in it by raising the top half of the base.
    i didn't use my sling much and sold it on. didn't use the travel toy arch either as LO just kept falling asleep in the car and never played with it!

4. The travel system was a god send as LO always fell asleep in the car so could just be lifted out and the car seat attached to the pram or brought into the house without waking him. If it was sleep time before we went out we put him to bed in his car seat and then lifted it into the car / pram. Used the carrycot regularly for first 5mths but it was very narrow.
    We used a moses basket for just over 5mths, then as we were going away for a week we put him in his travel cot for a few nights in our room to get him used to it. When we came back we didn't want to revert to the moses basket so put him in his cot in his own room.
    Depending on how easily your baby falls asleep alone, a carrier can also be a sanity saver. LO was terrible at just being put down to sleep so he often fell asleep in the carrier while other half got on with jobs - got some great photos too of him washing up, washing car, working at the computer with LO's head just poking out of the top!
    I can't think of anything we didn't use - tended to buy things as we needed them. Another useful product was a plastic bath support that he laid back in as it meant we could stand back and let him splash around. It kept his body warm under the water but left his head clear.
    And not forgetting...muslin squares. Cheap and white, we had 30 and still ran out regularly as LO suffered from reflux.
    Hope that helps x

5. The one we've just ordered has a seat unit that comes off (and can be stored for the first few months) so we can just alternate between the carrycot and carseat part clipped onto the frame. If I'm out and about without the car - carrycot on and pram mode, if we're going somewhere by car during the weekend - carseat can clip on - then when we're past the pram stage, can slot the seat fabric part back on and use that/carseat until just the pushchair part alone.
    Best thing we did was make the trip down to Kiddicare (obviously depends where abouts you are) at the weekend and spend ages pushing stuff around, getting staff to show us how to fold things up/back, how easily carseats and carrycots actually attach to the frames (some ain't half a right faff where you've got to remove (and store.... and lose in this house) bits etc etc. In the end we've gone for one with more ease of folding down (some of them resemble games of Twister - both hands on these catches, feet on this catch, balance on one leg, sit baby on your head and bum on the yellow dot) rather than one that folds down smaller... my brain can deal with "this catch and this catch together and push" - well, just about. Also meant we could extensively test them for the potential for hubby to break things!

6. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Yes, definitely test lots out in the shops and ask to collapse them and check if they fit in your boot- Mamas and Papas and Mothercare were ok for us to do this. A word of warning though, they all push beautifully on a shiny shop floor, but some don't handle so nicely on bumpy pavements and country tracks x

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You put the travel seat in the trolleyat the supermarket. Don't worry, in my prebabay days I'd not noticed there were trolleys for this. Like in the old days I never had to look out for lifts, sapce etc...I would advise a travel system presonally but you can buy it second hand if you're on a budget, I did only cos I'd just bought apram with my first kid, as I hadn't realised what would really be useful. Wish I'd asked on here first!

8. Thank you for all the great advice!
    I think we're going to go for a travel system and use the carry cot part instead of a Moses basket in the beginning.
    We are in Italy so everything is hideously expensive but we have found one second hand online for &euro;300 which is still a lot but hopefully we will be able to sell it on again afterwards!
    I can definitely see me using a sling a lot. There are so many out there to choose from though! Has anyone bought one they particularly like or one they would NOT recommend?

9. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Ooh how lovely to be in Italy! I wish!!!
    My baby's due in 6 weeks and we've gone for a Maxicosi Elea which is suitable from birth, you can get it for a good price on Boots. com if you can get things sent over.
    I'm really happy with it and it's similar to an icandy but better value and folds really small.
    Decided not to go for a carrycot and buy a cheap moses basket as baby will probably only need it for a few months.
    Also I didn't like the idea of baby sleeping in something which has to be taken outside regularly, I wanted a cleaner option.

10. It is not as good as it seems, Coolgiraffe!
    I dream of going shopping in the UK, they don't have the same kind of shops here and everything is so expensive. I'm also having problems with the medical system over here and am dreading giving birth in an Italian hospital! I would so much prefer to be in the UK.
    Good point about the carry cot being taken outside regularly, I'm surprised my husband hasn't brought that up because he is a bit funny about "outside" things being brought inside, especialy in the bedroom.
    I do like the Moses baskets available in Argos and other places and they're cheap too. I saw a similar one in a shop here and it was around &euro;160 but my Mum has offered to bring me some stuff on the train in a few weeks so maybe she can bring me one. The only thing is we are in an apartment and have very limited space so doing without either a pram or Moses basket would save on clutter.
    I never imagined making these decisions would be so difficult!

11. helsav

helsav New commenter

Hiya,
    my lo was born in June and I used a Kari-me stretchy wrap when he was still quite little, then started using a woven wrap when my back started to ache.
    I personally wouldn't use a wilkinet or a baby bjorn carrier as the straps dig in and it's not so good for kiddies especially with how their legs hang.
    There's loads of info on the natural mamas website

12. clairecramer

clairecramer New commenter

I found that my May baby couldn't go in a sling he was just too hot to be held that close to my body all the time - I don't know how the African women do it - he was so sweaty it was not nice!
    Midwives et al don't like you using car seats on a pram base because it is better for babies to lie flat - you can get prams that lie flat as a carry cot then convert into a sit up/reclining buggy without having to have a ton of separate equipment to store. We had the mamas and papas skate which is amazing and there is an Italian version but I've just looked and I can't for the life of me find the name of it now! Its also meant that we haven't had to buy another pram/buggy, its lasted right the way through. It was &pound;400 in the sale, which is still a lot - and the car seat was extra, but I feel it was worth it.
    With regards to sleeping, the carrycot is great during the day, but both my babies were big, and they do grow out of them quickly - this is why I'm glad I never bothered with a moses basket. We had a crib which was bigger, but to be honest, either swaddling and going straight in a cot - or even, horror of horrors(!) on a soft blanket on the floor would work too.