1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Equality Issue

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cheekyme01, Aug 23, 2020.

1. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

I am linked with a tutoring website. I have recently had a client contact me stating that they only wished to be tutored by a Caucasian tutor and that my Eastern looks would not suit them. It is a first for me. Still it is concerning that this still happens, but can anything be done about this via the website or at a government level.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'm sure this happens, the odd thing is that they contacted you to tell you that. Normally they just wouldn't contact the tutor and so the tutor would know nothing about it.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about it. The client is free to choose whoever the want as a tutor, but it does seem offensive to contact you in the way they did.

Kateray1 and phlogiston like this.
  3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I think that I would report this user to the website @cheekyme01. If they have sent you this message then they could also do this to others as well.
    There is legislation to protect employed people from discrimination, but am not sure how it could be done with someone who is self-employed. As @gainly said most people would just choose a tutor that suited their preferences and it would be hard to prove otherwise.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

On consideration, I would agree with @doctoryes that you should report them to the website. I can't think of any reason why a genuine client would send a message like this, so maybe they are just sending offensive messages to a number of tutors and should be banned from the site.

5. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I've never once had anyone give me a reason other than distance etc. If they decide I'm not for them, they just stop messaging
    Sounds iffy to me

7. Yogananda50

Yogananda50 New commenter

Just ignore them. As long as they are not affecting you, just carry on with your daily business. It’s not really your problem.

8. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

As a person of colour, I think this is absolutely disgusting! I have never had any potential client say this to me and to be honest, I don't think they'd dare, as I would of given them short, sharp shrift!

You should report them to the tutoring company immediately, as it is racial discrimination. In fact I think you'll find that this it is indirect racial discrimination which is:

"When an organisation has a particular policy or way of working that puts people of your racial group at a disadvantage." As the potential client came from the tutoring company, then I think you'll find they are responsible for the messages sent to you.

All companies should be weeding out this type of racism. You should not have been privy to this client as it is up to the company to screen and get rid of clients like this, before they contact you. If they don't they could be liable under the Race Equality Act.(REA)

Click on the link further info on the (REA) : https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/race-discrimination#types

cwilson1983 and CloudsTES like this.
  9. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

suzette likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

very odd. More likely to be someone deliberately trying to stir up trouble than someone genuine. They may not be who they claim to be

11. suzette

Yes. It may well be. But it still doesn't make it right. I'm registered with a few tutoring companies and I know that they are heavily regulated, so that if they let this go they risk getting shut down. Even if it is someone trying it on, it shouldn't be tolerated and at the very least if the company are aware of it they can block the client from contacting others. Also, if this person is trying to 'stir up' trouble (from a racist point of view), surely this should be taken as a serious issue and reported?

12. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

Yes of course it needs reporting , I am just saying the name on the message might not be genuine

13. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

The company has been alerted. They appear to have allowed the tutees to continue contacting tutors with her open account.

suzette likes this.
  14. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

This is so weird, surely they would want the best tutor for their child and how does skin colour have anything to do with tutoring ability!

suzette likes this.
  15. suzette

True. But a racist will find any excuse to spread their discrimination and biased viewpoints.

16. suzette

This is really bad and even more so that the company aren't prepared to do anything about it.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

An agency that I once used was frequently filled with requests for "female only tutors" requested.

By all accounts, this is still happening.

18. Yogananda50

Yogananda50 New commenter

I don’t think that’s discrimination. People who request female only tutors usually have a good reason. For example, female students will sometimes feel more comfortable with female teachers. It’s actually quite normal. It’s more difficult to explain why you’d feel more comfortable with someone of the same race.

19. suzette

I think it is racism. The OP posted said the client "only wished to be tutored by a Caucasian tutor and that my Eastern looks would not suit them." In other words; the client is saying that because the tutor is not white (or in their case; not Caucasian) and Eastern in their looks, that they don't want to be tutored by them.

I did not say anything about the female debate, that was someone else who posted on this forum/topic and while this is wrong too, I was speaking about what the OP originally said was the reason why the client couldn't use them as a tutor.

To discriminate against someone/or say that they can't do a particular job simply because of the colour of their skin is indeed racism. I guess that's why a lot of racist things still continue, because people try to fob off small comments such as this as not being much of an issue. This wasn't a case of someone not wanting this tutor because of them being female; this is because of the colour of their skin; not based on their abilities or experience, so it is racism.

20. cheekyme01

cheekyme01 New commenter

Racism is an issue. I am not sure what we can do about this issue. Sometimes I feel parents create this outlook for their children too.