1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Equal Pay - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Many teachers with Qualified Teacher Status are paid on an unqualified scale - primarily because they take jobs that specify the pay as being just that - such as cover supervision etc. QTLS however is a grey area as that is specific to non-compulsory education - it may be that those other teachers actually have QTS.... I would raise your issue politely with your line managers.

2. No the others definitely have QTLS - I know this as a fact and the job I was appointed to was advertised as MPS. Regardless surely they cannot pick and choose who they pay what??

3. DaisysLot

I believe that if they you are in the private or post compulsory sector, they can indeed chose to pay what they want in theory much as private businesses can pay folk whatever they think they are worth. You say the pay policy has changed since your appointment? How has it changed?

4. Hi - I'm working in a sixth form that is part of a school so for all intents and purposes a school. I am aware that without QTS they have discretion to pay as either qualified or unqualified but surely the policy has to be the same for all? There are 2 male and 1 female member of staff with the same qualifications all working in the same part of the school and all being paid more than me. I was told when I started that 2 of these members were the last that would be paid as qualified with QTLS and from then on all staff would need QTS. However since then a new person has started with QTLS and he is also on a qualified salary whilst I am not.

Thanks for the advice so far

5. DaisysLot

I see your point - but difficult to prove - after all another employees pay and qualifications is their own business if you get my meaning and the school may cite that the other member of staff has x experience or some such in defense. I would, however, perhaps enquire with your union as to whether they can take up the case on your behalf and make enquiries. Have you actually written to enquire why this unfairness seems to have occurred?

6. I have literally only found out today and I am quite good friends with the new member of staff so I am aware of his quals and experience. I am also legally qualified to masters level so I think I have a pretty good case to put forward I was just interested in other opinions - I am meeting with my line manager tomorrow to discuss it

Thanks

7. DaisysLot

Best of luck. Let us know how things progress and whether you get a positive resolution :)