1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EPQ - Phew ! Just finished marking, sorting, checking - what a carry on !!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Caity52, May 13, 2011.

1. Caity52

Caity52 New commenter

I agree with you entirely, it is very hard work and all comes at once. As this is seen as an "extra" by our school I don't even get any timetabled time to deliver the taught elements, yet alone a TLR in recognition of my hard work. However I know that if I didn't run it, it probably wouldn't happen and I do, like you, think it's a very valuable thing to do!

2. I have taught it for 2 years. It is a lot of work, I perhaps went overboard with the comments for the marking this year, but as I get a different team of teachers every year, it helps to have lots of good exemplar work.

I do get a little TLR as co-ordinator (hopefully this won't disappear with all the funding cuts), and I think it is right that I do, as it is an important role.

I think the taught part is vital to get right. I use worksheets and produce teacher worksheets too so that I can ensure all students are being taught vaguely the same thing (depending on their projects).

I think matching tutor-assessors to the right students (right project types) helps if you can.

I do edexcel, and I don't think students have to sign lots of bits of paper. Just the main cover sheet if I remember rightly. maybe having a look at another awarding body might help.

I think EPQ is absolutely fantastic. I am so proud of what some of my students have achieved, when they have been passionate about their project and have realised just what they need to do to do well.

I am really keen to visit another school that offers EPQ at some point. I am in South London- is anyone nearby?

3. Would any body be able to advise as to how they run it within their school in terms of how much timetabled time they get and when the course starts and ends? we are trying to set it up in our school and investigating models other schools use.

4. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

I am running EPQ for around 30 students. I'm responsible for the EPQ taught element, EPQ coordinator / supervisor and responsible for 5 other supervisors.
    Supervisors get x1 period per fortnight, unless required for cover. I get x1 period per week.
    I get NO TLR for doing all this. However, it is my choice, and feel that longer term it will serve me well with future career progression (still wet behind the ears !!).
    We have focussed on starting when Yr 12 finish exams, get the motivated on board and then go for it in the Autumn & Spring Term. However, be warned, if you don't keep on top of some students they will use it and put it on their UCAS statement, get their offers and then proceed to drop it !!
    To deter this I have written to UCAS stating that the EPQ was dropped.
    Have you been to a Supervisor/Coordinator meeting as they give some good advice on different models?

5. Just a quick heads up for all those doing the work without the TLR ... do remember that the schools gets paid for 136 guided learning hours for this qualification. Bearing in mind that I have never heard of anything close to this being provided - think how much this is bringing into the school. If they want this money to support other courses - they can afford at least one TLR point. Do not sell yourself short!!!!!!!!!!

6. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Ah, but it depends whether your school is 'maxed out'. Due to the number of courses our students do this is usually the case, definitely in Yr 12.