1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Epilators

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Greenhousegirl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. They say it will be 21*tomorrow so the end of opaque tights is looming. What I want to know is do epilators work as well as they claim? Does it really hurt? Can anyone suggest a good brand/model?
    Thanks in advance
    Magic

2. I've got a cheap Silk-Epil one and it's fine but my standards aren't high. A friend has a top-of-the-range one that pulls out tiny little hairs and she thinks it's the bee's knees. Hers is better because you don't have to wait for your hairs to be visible before they're long enough to rip out.
    For your lower legs they're great, but in my experience, the first few times they leave a nasty red lumpy rash (exfoliate gently every day to prevent ingrowing hairs) so you might want to try it out while you're still wearing trousers. The nasty rash is even worse on me if i do the bikini area but with repetition does eventually settle. Again, I wouldn't do it the first time just before I was planning to wear a bikini.
    Underarms I find difficult and usually Veet them instead. The skin is loose and I have caught it in the discs several times. But maybe that's because I'm old.
    Hurts a bit the first time, much better after that.

3. Thank you Lily. I was thinking mainly for leg area, am also feeling wimpish about underarm area as have a few skin tags.

4. bnm

bnm

Hurt very much the first time....fine after that.

5. i have a top of the range one (Boots had 1/3 off) and it's good. It was agony the first time and I thought of asking for a refund as it claims to be painfree. however i realised that you could use it underwater and it 's loads better and almost pain free although you sometimes feel a bit of a 'nip'. I sit in the bath for about half an hour and when my legs are well soaked then i start to use it. i haven't used it over the winter but am going to get it out agian now the weather is better.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Braun Silk Epil - fantastic. Need to recharge it for the coming summer!

7. Splashed out on a Silk Epil 7 as on offer at Boots. It works in water so had my first attempt in the shower. Yes it was painful but not unbearable and I trust it will get less uncomfortable in time. Results aren't perfect but then there was all winter's growth to contend with!