1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Epidemics through history

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Was going to put summat else but bottled it. It's a tough question. If you have faith - such as perhaps a belief in an afterlife, does it effect how you respond to the threat of Covid 19.
    I mentioned to someone at my garden gate - she was delivering to her Anglican parish, the newsletter for the older folk. I mentioned that we are both fully paid up members to organisations that believes in an afterlife. Not just like that. We had a long chat about stuff. She looked a bit shocked. Just wondering if such things make a difference in these times. For example, is the non mask wearing person that you complain of, just resigned to the Lord's Will and not a conspiracy theorist or a Covid denier?
    SK Robson would have broached this more elegantly.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I imagine some people will be more resigned to the will of a god, should something happen, however it should not stop them from wearing a mask. A mask is there as a precaution in case you have the virus and to reduce the chance of spreading it to others, so not wearing one without good (medical) reason is likely to be seen by a god as somewhat selfish. Which I imagine in not something most gods want.

Corvuscorax20 likes this.
  3. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

Not religious myself but isn't "god helps those who help themselves" relevant?

4. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I don't know if that is relevant.

5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

A mask is there to stop bacteria entering open wounds?

6. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

Regarding Christians I think it is not a matter of accepting the will of the Lord but of trusting His words, if they know them
    See, e.g., Mark 7

7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I cannot find it now but in April I found a breakdown of NHS staff who had faith. More than half do. I can't find the data now. But anyway.

peter12171 likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"For example, is the non mask wearing person that you complain of, just resigned to the Lord's Will and not a conspiracy theorist or a Covid denier?"
    Might just be someone who's made a risk-benefit analysis and made their choice.

9. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Post Christian era such first world war sentiment is difficult. Better versions out there. But still, there you go.

10. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

Or all of that together

11. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

This is a good one

peter12171 likes this.
  12. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

There are also those who hope in God and sometimes wear masks. God will judge

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Has that person included the risk posed to others?

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, hello. Do you mean me?
    I'm not sure about elegance, but the mention of "Covid denier" does evoke to me that niche subsection of the anti-maskers who believe that rather than masking up, we ought to be wearing a particular pair of tights that can be devised for non mask wearers as a sort of leg based protection for those who "follow their own science"; Covid Denier 15 for the Summer, rising to Covid Denier 60 for the coming colder months.

Regarding your Anglican delivery person, I personally am loathe to be controversial about religion even when mixing with the like minded. So I'd have casually dropped n the question "in 1821, the German author Georg Büchner called human suffering the “cliff of atheism”. Does religion really offer any help to prevent people falling from this cliff?". Because sometimes you need to keep that garden gate discourse quite loose and free.

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well I was indoctrinated by the catlicks, but I understand none of these ramblings, except that the title of the thread seems to have nothing to do with the content.

nervousned and Nanny Ogg like this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Excellent analysis of religion.

nervousned likes this.
  17. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

My faith means I have less worries about life, as I have an after life and a relationship with G-d.

My faith also means I am under instructions to show love to G-d's people, and his whole creation, so I care for the environment, and for other people, and part of that is doing everything I can to limit the spread of this virus.

So I wear a mask, and a visor in school, and I try not to spread the virus, and I care about it spreading, and I love life and am not ready to die! Hence the extra effort to remove myself from the catagory "obese".

At the same time, I am not afraid of death, or worried about it when it does come

nervousned, peter12171 and Nanny Ogg like this.
  18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Did we need another religion thread?

Of course if you need to discuss what I assume the thread title is about, then epidemics have shaped history, social development, architecture, war etc, and while some people think only of the black death with a side order of Spanish flu, that is way way incorrect. I still don't see what "religion(s)" have to do with it except give people false hopes.

19. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

One of my favourite anthems.

20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

sbk thanks for that. Sorry missed a letter from your name.
    It was going to be about faith the title but then I did bottle it. But I wonder if say in 1660's when the plague came again to London, they did all run away if they could and do what they knew how to do to try to save people etc but the whole idea of staying home and not going out and just well not doing anything, was hardly an option. Only for the most wealthy and even then the servants would have had to venture out for supplies.
    I can't explain it.
    Oh well, then - it is that we have become used to life being prolonged and comfortable and ending in cancer or dementia and cannot cope with the threat of death? Are we just unable to be realistic about where we are all headed. No one wants to die and not before their "time". But is is the last stop. Euphemism used all the time, passing, he passed away. Make me cross. They died, that's the word you are looking for.
    And so is some of our fear of Covid based on that kind of fear?
    It's not about mask or no mask. It's more about the real risks of living authentically.
    I noted back in March that the data such as there is for NHS workforce indicates perhaps a higher percentage of believers than in the general populace. Is that a greater courage to risk life in the service of others? Hence Many Waters etc. A much better anthem than You'll never walk alone, which is just what we have all been doing except for the NHS.
    In the same sort of woolly thinking I wonder if I was 95, demented and in a care home, if I would prefer that I could see my family and have a little bit more normality , if that would be better than just being isolated until I die? I know we wiped out people by our actions at the start of March - the infection was taken into care homes by the clearing out of hospitals. That is done now and another issue.
    So many questions.