1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Epidemic of stress' blamed for 3,750 teachers on longterm sick leave - article

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Jan 11, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Surely something needs to be done?

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...amed-for-3750-teachers-on-longterm-sick-leave

Teaching unions are warning of an “epidemic of stress” as research revealed that 3,750 teachers were signed off on longterm sick leave last year because of pressure of work, anxiety and mental illness.

Figures obtained through a mass freedom of information request show a 5% rise on the year before, revealing that one in 83 teachers spent more than a month off work in 2016-17.

Altogether 1.3 million days have been taken off by teachers for stress and mental health reasons in the last four years, including around 312,000 in 2016-17, the figures compiled by the Liberal Democrats show.

2. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Hardly surprising considering how toxic schools are now. I don't think anybody goes into teaching to be micro-managed, spend their time 'evidencing' their work, 'volunteering' for after school sessions, waste time 'deep marking,' suffer the indignity of being judged against someone else's idea of what teaching looks like and so on ad nauseum.

With so much anti-teacher feeling from the public, government and SLTs I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Alice K, eljefeb90, tosh740 and 6 others like this.
  3. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My GP once told me that of all the patients she treats for stress, anxiety, and depression, most of them are either teachers or nurses. In any staff room, if you went around shaking handbags and jacket pockets, from at least half of them you would hear the rattle of a pill bottle!.

5. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I think that the unions should be much stronger about all of this, especially now that there is new united union. We need an all-out strike to address multiple issues,

I don't know enough about primary to comment, but I do know for sure that in the average secondary, especially the dreaded academies, but the job has become borderline unbearable - demoralising and stressful.

It was always fairly stressful, but at one time you got a level of respect for dealing with tough kids. Now you are likely to be told that the behaviour is due to a lack of "engagement" or "pace" or whatever other deliberately amorphous and unmeasurable word is now in vogue. I don't know what it is going to take to change a situation that is dire.

JohnJCazorla and Alice K like this.
  6. drek

drek Lead commenter

Yes the big leadership cop out. As if every jail cell in the land is filled with hard. core thugs committing crimes due to teachers teaching their subject ‘ineffectively’ ha ha ha ha ha ha..........

If anything, teachers are often left to ‘manage’ this lot and the unpleasant environment they create, on their own for hours and hours on end, not only having to face emotional abuse from such pupils everyday.......but are forced to phone home after the events by their managers and face further abuse from the parents. This is never followed up. The government need parental votes so the message to teachers reinforced over and over again is to accept it, it’s part of the job.

Then face abuse from managers demanding them to spend time ‘reflecting’ on how they could have deleivered huge amounts of compulsory content better or made it more ‘interesting’ after subjecting them to a lecture about being more understanding about the background of their abuser......

Same psychological hogwash as telling females that dressing up to please themselves is inviting unwanted attention........

JohnJCazorla, Alice K and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

They won't do jack **** just like the NHS which is screwed up as well.

8. Rachelmbx

Rachelmbx Star commenter

Yep, pretty stressful in primary too, especially academies.

9. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Thanks for letting me know - why I am not surprised that academies are the most toxic environment?

10. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member