1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Environmental education - Designing a learning resource

Discussion in 'Personal' started by m_flint2907, Feb 4, 2020.

?

How much money would you allocate to the product outlined above?

1. £30-£40

2. £40-£50

3. £50-£60

4. £60-£70

5. £70-£80

6. £80+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. m_flint2907

m_flint2907 New commenter

Hi, I'm a final year product design student designing a learning resource to help teach KS3 students about the global impact of E-waste. The aim is the help teachers make a connection between the technology that their students use (i.e smartphones, tablets and laptops) and the impact it has on health, environment and resource scarcity.

I've made a quick survey to get some idea of what teachers would like to pay for this kind of resource which would also:
    • Touch on elements specific to the curriculum.
    • be fun and engaging for students
    • be a succinct package, easy to distribute kit.
    • be used across the school for multiple classes over a 4 year span.
    • be designed to be as intuitive as possible
    • support teachers in teaching ideas of electronic waste.
    upload_2020-2-4_15-46-46.png
    upload_2020-2-4_15-49-18.png
    1:An initial model of the simulation phone that contains no electronics and has all the general components you’d expect to find in a mobile.

2: Each component has several related resource tokens that would be found in that component (i.e. Mercury or gallium).

3: Each colour code resource has an associated deck of specific effect cards, such as health effects from a certain element or environmental effects. This is where elements of the curriculum will be integrated.

4: There is a resource metric counter so the students can visualise how these impacts build. Part of the detailed design process would be further developing and justifying an impact method of demonstrating consequences of e-waste.

I'd love to get some feedback on this and look forward to your poll responses

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

All you need is three cards 100cmX50cm.

On the first one, you write "We're going to suffocate on our own excrement".
    On the second one, you write "We're doomed as a species".
    And on the third one, you write "And the sooner the better".

3. m_flint2907

Hi Judy, thank you for the helpful feedback.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It's not the worst idea, but seems overly spoon-fed for KS3 who should be able to research and come up with results - all the relevant info is freely available.

I think I would also include a 'responsible use' element for manufacturers and users - i.e make devices durable and invest in recovery of materials for reuse.And

P.s Is it plastic?

5. m_flint2907

I agree with what you say about spoon feeding, maybe some research prompts would be a more appropriate idea.

Some elements may be plastic, but i have yet to do materials research. The aim is to go for the most appropriately sustainable material while making it durable enough for the classroom

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Why do you have to make a pretend phone from anything? Can't you use donated discarded phones? Surely that would make it far more real and use less resources.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fewer. :p

Mobile phones and accessories contain a variety of toxic materials including lead, nickel, mercury, manganese, lithium, zinc, arsenic, antimony, beryllium and copper.

I can just see a Year 9 pupil stabbing a lithium ion battery with a compass and saying "Have you ever seen this?"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    colpee likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:D

I wrestled with that momentarily and decided that the amount of resources used was somewhat intangible and unmeasurable and didn't come in discrete units, though fewer did sound more correct.

Most pupils already have a phone with them with all those toxic chemicals. The batteries could be taken out and recycled prior to giving them out, though I think they are only dangerous when charged up.

It seems particularly self-defeating to me to teach about waste and in the process manufacture some fake phones to do so that will become waste unnecessarily. A used and discarded phone is a much more tangible item than a cheap looking substitute and represents the best sort of recycling in the short term (unaltered re-use) and can be broken-down recycled later on without having to make some short-term fancy gadget to do so.

Unless of course, the whole purpose is to make the short-term fancy gadget.

nomad likes this.