1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Environmental Chemistry project

Discussion in 'Science' started by steph838, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I have a long time to teach year 9 Environmental Chemistry to my set 5s. (atleast half a term) I was thinking of putting it together into some sort of creative project, with possible cross curricular links. But im struggling to come up with a theme / idea for the project. I want something that will make the topic as appealing as possible and enthuse the students.Any ideas would be great. thanks

2. how many lessons a week??? I know you asked for a creative project and mine sort of was. It was along the lines of what was good for the school plantwise/buildingwise and humanwise.
    I did-..
    1. go out round the school site and collect samples of soil, ph tests then analysis of which plants would grow best in those areas. 2/3 lessons
    2. research then make leaflets about acid rain and effects on plants 1/2 lessons
    3. a few worksheets to make up the theory lessons 1/2 lessons
    4. tests on household solutions to find ph scales (and find that Johnsons pH5.5 handwash aint wot it says on the tin!) 1 lesson
    5. tests on different building materials eg iron,copper,zinc,sandstone,marble,chalk to see if any of the school was at risk 1 lesson
    you did say any ideas welcome lol

3. Thanks for your reply. I get them twice a week. I like your idea of testing the different building materials to see if any of the school was
    at risk.

Any ideas on a theme for the whole topic??