1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Environment Agency chairman Philip Dilley resigns

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jan 11, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sir Philip Dilley has resigned as chairman of the Environment Agency after he was criticised for being in Barbados on holiday during the Christmas floods.

The businessman said he was resigning in part because expectations of the £100,000-a-year role had expanded to require him to be available at short notice throughout the year, which he found “inappropriate”.

[Inappropriate? On £100k per year?? What a fool!]

Dilley denied giving “any untrue or misleading” impression about his whereabouts during the floods, after the Environment Agency initially would only say he was “at home with his family”, before later claiming he “was at home with his family, who are from Barbados”. It subsequently emerged he was at his property in Barbados, with his Jamaican wife.

He acknowledged that the statement “in hindsight could have been clearer”.

“I have today told the secretary of state of my decision to step down as chairman of the Environment Agency, and she has accepted my resignation,” Dilley said.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You're better out of it if it starts interfering with your home life.

I wouldn't stay for an extra hour at work each night of the week for say £20,000 on top of what I presently earn.

I like to be out of work and on the road at 4 p.m. and home in twenty minutes. And I can't ever give up my Friday afternoons finishing at 1.30 p.m.

I work to live and it's just a necessary evil that has to be endured.

xena-warrior likes this.
  3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I think the fact that Jamaica is over 1000 miles from Barbados was what finally blew his cover story that it was to be 'near family'

Idiot.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Someone in politics once described that dept. as the most disfunctional one. Hope it gets better!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It might ,once again, be better if goverment left the work t professionals and took its sticky finger our.
    As to the man.lots of other examples of part time earners earning good sums of cash in industry.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why the hell was he ever appointed? What use is someone who works 2 days a week? For a huge salary?

Goodbye & good riddance!

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think if I had one, I would be at my property in Barbados at this time of year. 100k a year doesn't seem like that much if you're not allowed a holiday.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Being Head of these government bodies is an easy ride on a gravy train.. Dilley is right in the sense that most of them aren't there to actually do the job the public imagines they are there to do... most likely his role is as a figurehead and interlocutor [sorry if I'm using that one wrong] between the agency and the government that funds it.

He also serves as a handy sacrificial lamb to disguise needing to make any real changes.

9. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I have mixed feelings about this. What could he usefully have done if he had been here? Waded about in his wellies dispensing platitudes? It's highly unlikely he would have been filling sandbags....would it really have made much difference if he'd come home a day or two early?

As Flere says, are people not allowed a holiday?

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

What amuses me is the fuss about his holiday
    I'm pretty sure that the rain would have fallen whether he was here or not and little his dept could have done would have stopped what happened from happening

edit to note posts crossed with Cosmos

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Did the Environment Agency do a bad job? I've been quite impressed by SEPA over the last few weeks. Their maps of flood risk areas have been very accurate.

12. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I think he is just a scapegoat to deflect the government funding cuts.

Dragonlady30 and lanokia like this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I cannot see what the problem is. Isn't the man allowed a holiday where ever he likes like anybody else?

Are his deputies not capable of running things whilst he was away? If not why aren't they the ones getting the push?

I doubt very much that he was sat by his pool guzzling booze pretending nothing was happening but instead I expect he was in constant contact with the Envoronment Agency (which doesn't sound much of a holiday to me). If so what else could he have done differently if he was in the UK?.

He is right though if the post expects him to be on call 24 hours a day every day he is best shot of the job.

Dragonlady30, cuteinpuce and lanokia like this.
  14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

he apparently issued a statement saying that he was in contact with his department - sometimes as often as once a day.
    must have been exhausting.

cissy3 and FrankWolley like this.
  15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

A well paid figure head fulfilling his ultimate purpose....

Barometer-Image-converted2.jpg

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What could he have done? Banged a few heads together, rallied the troops, made sure that the job was being done as well as possible etc.....not much to ask for £100K per year for a 0.2 job!

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Probably not intended, but this post implies that the rescuers etc needed him there. Really? Thankfully, I don't live in a flood area but from what I saw, those affected had nothing but praise for the organisations which helped them. The criticism was for the lack of foresight from the agencies which had not prevented the flooding. Would the presence of the boss have made any difference? Of course it wouldn't.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

So all those saying he was not needed there, are in effect saying he was not needed at all?

Compare and contrast with Heads of large secondary schools etc :p

racroesus and FrankWolley like this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

He was supposed to be a leader. Leaders don't do the actual job, HT's hardly teach, generals don't fight, but being on holiday as others could do the tasks involved at time of crisis is hardly leadership is it?

FrankWolley and cissy3 like this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm reminded of one of the HODs we had when I worked in the NHS. An ex-navy guy who W.S. Gilbert might have felt inclined to parody, had they encountered each other.

Around a eighteen months after he was put in post, he took a year off to "oversee" the building of a hospital in Sri Lanka and by all accounts, spent much of it propping up the bar telling anecdotes and rubbing shoulders with other BS merchants. Why he was given that job remains a mystery, since he had no knowledge of building and there was precious little evidence of his possessing any organisational skills.

When he came back, he found his absence hadn't been noticed and six months later was called back to Sri Lanka for a further six months, ostensibly to put the finishing touches to the job, but more likely to try and sort out a catalogue of problems before they became even more of an embarrassment.

After that, we were lucky if we saw him in the department more than one day per week, as he had various lecturing jobs and had wheedled his way onto various committees where he knew he'd be assured of a decent lunch.

Despite his not being at the helm, the dept. ran exceeding well, but then when Maggie's henchmen were looking to make cuts in the staffing budget in a desperate attempt to show her ill-fated NHS reforms had managed to produce cost savings, he was called to a meeting with the management, who had no idea whatsoever what the £1.5m budget the Physics dept. was being spent on, he was asked to account what actual projects the individual staff members had been working on and was unable to answer.

Although he came back with his tail between his legs and asked each of us to detail what we had been doing over the past year, his subsequent meeting with the management failed to convince them that every departmental member was invaluable and they made four people redundant, notably the Deputy Head who had been keeping everything running smoothly in his absence.

I feel convinced he'd abstained from giving the Deputy Head sufficient credit for the role he'd been playing in order to save his own skin, but as it happens, he'd have done better to fall on his sword in honour, because as soon as the redundancies had been processed, they pensioned him off as well.

Dilley was unfortunate in being on holiday when the flooding disaster happened, but clearly an idiot in not getting on the next flight home as he'd announced on taking the role, immediately following the previous flood disaster, that situations like these require strong leadership and had promised to be providing that if anything similar happened on his watch. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and who knows, he may well have been on that flight if he'd been sufficiently sober.

I'm sure he is now though.

I'm also sure that our PM will have been asking why it was that he was able to have his Christmas disturbed by donning wellies and appearing on the news to assure the flood victims that everything possible would be done to help them, but the Environment Agency Chairman was nowhere to be found, that it appears his deputies didn't initially want to say he was sunning himself and the media was able to track his location down before his own dept had been able to screw it out of them.

FrankWolley and cissy3 like this.