1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entry requirements pgce secondary Biology

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lyncorn, Sep 10, 2018.

1. lyncorn

lyncorn New commenter

Hi everyone ,
    Looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning my course of study starting through the open university. I have an interest in teaching biology but equally I'm wanting to keep as many options open as possible as I also have an interest in psychology careers. If I study psychology through open university is it related enough to gain entry onto pgce secondary Biology?
    Thanks in advance

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

maybe, maybe not, depending on the competition.

However, you would be a science teacher, not a biology teacher, and getting a job would be much easier with a science degree, psychology is not generally accepted as a science degree

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

There are science teachers without science degrees, but they are not only at a disadvantage with job applications, they are at a disadvantage with subject knowledge whilst they are teaching too.

There are also psychology teachers, you could think about that? I don't know how many jobs there are, but most psychology teachers I know are part of the humanities department and also teach geography, history, PSHE, RE etc.