1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MathsMA, Mar 7, 2012.

1. MathsMA

MathsMA New commenter

Wondered if anyone had any experience with Entry Level Qualification (any exam board) as am looking to enter a couple of really low ability pupils to at least give them a chance of success???
    Having had a look at the OCR spec it just seems so cumbersome, whilst the EdExcel one looks OK. Have to be honest and say I'm not the best administrator, so glazed over with regards some of the information, so apologies if I really should have read it deeper.
    We've been given an HLTA to help implement and just want something that is easy to administer and enjoyable(ish) for the students taking it.
    (We're all a bit green on Entry Level including our new exams officer!!!!)

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Edexcel one is OK. Assuming it hasn't changed in the last couple of years then it's been exactly the same for at least the last 10 years.
    When you enter students you will receive a PDF pack of tests - several at each level (1 to 3). A pass is 85% but if they fail one test at a level then you can go over their weaknesses and they can try again.
    They also have to do a piece of coursework. There are a few to choose from so you can try more than one and pick out the one that they score best in. All the criteria are very clear as is the level of support that you may give.
    Instructions are all clear. Just follow them, document everything and then package it up and send it to the moderator when you are done.

3. MathsMA

MathsMA New commenter

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I thought the EdExcel one looked OK and it appears that they have the exam materials on there as well.
    The only confusion was how to record the "coursework" part. Any help???
    Plus is the opening gambit here to get the pupils entered and we then start to get the various materials??
    Thanks

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It is clear when you get the materials. There are parts that the pupils have to document. Then you have a discussion with them and write down their responses.
    That is my understanding.